Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aphex 204 users...Direct or FX Loop.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Pako, Aug 16, 2003.

1. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    Greetings fellow TB'ers. :)

I was recently fortunate enough to get my hands of the ever popular Aphex 204 for a mear $200.00 which I thought was a pretty good deal. While I wait ever so paitently for it to arive, I was hoping to get some advise on the best way to hook it up.

I'm currently running through a SWR SM-900 stereo head, however, right now I only have one 4x10 cabinet. Never the less, should I run Direct or through the effects loop on my rig? Also, I haven't gotten it yet, but I'm also looking into getting a good compressor, again should I run before the input on the amp or in the Effects loop, and before or after the Aphex 204?

I really appreciate your guys opinions!

~Peace

2. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I suggest you run them both in the effects loop, and then put the compressor first in the signal chain.

3. Pako

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    *bump*

Thanks RevGroove.

Does that seem to be the general consensis? Any other opinions?

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I run my 204 in a rack rig, between preamp and power amp. If I use a compressor, then I run preamp --> compressor --> Aphex --> power amp. In other words, I totally agree with RevGroove: put the 204 in the FX loop of your SWR, after the compressor.

5. Pako

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    Thanks you guys, I appreciate the feedback! The unit isn't here yet, but it should be here soon.

Thanks agian,

;)

6. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Sorry to disagree, but I don't think the answer is that simple. First, you don't want to put either in a parallel effects loop. Mixing dry and compressed signals can cause some wierd signal distortions. The Aphex already has blend capabilities, so that should not be in a parallel loop. In general, dynamic devices should be in series with the signal, (IMO).

If the loop is serial, or set to serial, you probably have a better chance of sounding good. The question is whether the loop is instrument level or line level, and pre- or post- eq. This will determine where you should put it. If it is post-eq and line level, it would probably work well there. If it is instrument level and pre-eq, you may have more issues with noise and such.

Putting it after the pre-amp and before the power amp almost always works well.

7. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    SWR states that their side chain (parallel) effects loops are post EQ(preamp) and pre Master Volume (power amp). It's specifically designed to reduce the noise generated by effects devices that you'd get using an in-line 'loop.

Pako, go to SWR Sound and click on the products link until you get to the section with the SM-900...if you have a .pdf reader, you can download the manual and get the specifics of what you should and shouldn't do with the effects loop...but in the main, with this amp most rack effects should go through the loop...stomp boxes direct in-line.

8. Pako

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    I know I read through that manual several times before, but this morning was the first time I realized (if I read it right) that none of the effects in the effects loop go out the D.O.

Thanks RevGroove

I could be mistaken but if the "Effects Blend" has no effect in the "Line" position, then is it completely 'wet', or completely 'dry' or somewhere in between.

Running a line out to the P.A., I would assume I would want all my 'tone' effects to be included into the signal. Now if the cabinet was just mic'd up, then this is a mute point, but everytime I've been at a gig with sound provided, they 'always' run a Direct Box or a line/direct out from the amp.

9. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Pako,

I usually bring a mic with me. Optimally, I prefer to run two channels. 1 from the mic, the second from the DI, so I have a wet and dry channel going to the amp.

If they insist on just a DI...that's fine too! I run the DI from the out put of the last effect so that my effects chain goes out to the PA, just running the 1/4" output jack from the DI back to the return jack on the amp to complete the loop.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Edit: By the way, I run an Alesis Nanocompressor (hopefully to be upgraded soon!) and dbx 120A Subharmonic Synthesiser (similar to the Aphex 204) in my 'loop...not a problem at all, no matter how I send the signal to the board. Sounds better than direct as well!