Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

APHEX 207 / 204

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gregory Bruce Campbell, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    BEE basses, Morley pedals
    I would like some insight from some of your audiophiles about some things...

I have a new pre-amp that is FREAKING me out!

This is the unit I have been waiting for !!!!!!

If you go to http://www.aphex.com/

I use the 207 pre-amp

I am also using the 204

I am kind of an idiot when it comes to describing this type of stuff ... so I was hoping that I can get some insight from you audiophiles as to what it is
    that is blowing my mind about this pre-amp set up I currently use?

I am not positive as to what sets these apart...

I know what I liked that made me choose them, but if you could explain the guts that just drastically improved the tone of my rig???

I wish to be able to put what I am hearing and the technical side of things into words...

For now I just say; I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Not now. I have a headache. I didn't have one a minute ago, but I have one now. What's causing this?

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Could it be the fact that this is another non-Eden related thread Munji? :D ;)

4. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    ebozzz said:
    No, in all actuality, I own and use an Aphex 204. That said, I have virtually no idea how to answer the title thread's challenge. He didn't even describe his signal chain. How in the holy heck could anyone know what's freaking him out and blowing his mind?

5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I hear ya Munji and I'm in agreement. Not enough information to work with. Although, I saw my reply only as an opportunity to tease you about your Eden fetish! :D :D

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I read the question as, "I'm blown away by what the Aphex technology does to my tone, but I have no clue as to how it do that voodoo it do so well".

The answer is (more or less) in the manual for the 204. It's really complicated. :D The shortest way to explain it might be "it adds delay to the low frequencies and additional harmonics to the highs", but like all simple explanations, that is not accurate.

7. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    LOL, sorry for the lack of info...

And thanks for the replies...

Yah I'm really happy and just wanted to converse about the APHEX gear...

I use a TON of pedals and try many way to apply them to the rig, that could be a novel by itself...

So, the chain (if you will) consists of...

Usually my bass to the Pedal Pad pedal board...

COVERED with EBS, MORLEY, And boss effects

It leaves the pedals in stereo and goes into the two channels of my APHEX 207. The 204 is in the inserts of the 207...

Each side goes into a Behringer mixer...

There are compressors in the inserts of those channels, and compressors in the inserts for the mains...

In the Behringer there is a Gibson echoplex in each effects loop ... one left and one right...

It then goes into a Stewart world 2.1 power amplifier ... from there it goes to a pair of AccuGroove ElWhappo cabinets...

Now, to be a little more clear i did not think my chain had anything to do with my topic... i simply want to identify what it is that seems to make the APHEX gear so appealing to me ... they are defiantly a different calls of pre amp than what i am used to and i want to identify the facts of why they seem better Vs the opinions of brand names...

8. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    ... now I definitely (note correct spelling) have a headache ... maybe it's an aneurism. I think I'll go to the doctor tomorrow.

9. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    if its a negative thing for you man, just don't respond...

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i dunno greg...i'll have to check one of these things out with my bass some day. one of the guys at the studio i've been in for the past coupla weekends uses an aphex pre- for vocals. it's a really clean sounding unit...and i've heard some of your kickstart chubby stuff. really cool, man.

11. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    [​IMG]

12. lowendguy

lowendguy

Feb 20, 2003
    OK, is it the 207 or the 204 that turning you on? The 207 is a very clean tube pre that does not color your sound, and has a very fast transient response, I use one with a Crest CA9 in to my
    2 Bag End 15's, and it sound great, more importantly it sounds like my bass:bassist:
    I'm now waiting for one of their new exciter pedals, I heard the protype and it sounds like a 204 in a pedal...just what my BEs need

13. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    both but i understand the 204, it is waht attracted me to aphex gear in the first place...

i stubled upon the 207 and it is what i guess the focus of my topic is about...

Yes i saw and played through those at winter NAMM i too was floored...

i chose the 204 though because i already have too many pedals and i play in stereo...

it works awesome to run the 204 in the inserts of the 207!

14. Aphex

Aphex

Feb 26, 2003