1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aphex 661 Expressor Compressor

Discussion in 'For Sale: Effects and Pedals' started by jacoby75, Jan 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for checking out my posting. Due to some chronic back problems, I have decided to part with my rack setup and switch to a micro amp. Getting the rack in and out of my trunk has proven to be a bit challenging. My old man problems (at 36) are your gain! : )

Up for grabs today is my Aphex 661 Compressor. I purchased it used off of Ebay last year, and have owned it for about 8-9 months. I used it 1-2 nights most weekends during that time, and it was always kept in a rack and well cared for. I’m not sure how long it was used by the previous owner, but it was manufactured in 2006. It is in excellent cosmetic condition, with the exception of a bit of rack rash. It functions perfectly.

I don’t know a lot about compressors. I tend to have trouble dialing in a useful tone. I’ve tried several pedals (Markbass compressore, EBS Microcomp, Boss CS-2) and a DBX rackmount in the past, and felt like they mostly just sucked the good tone out of my bass, or colored the sound of it too much. But I got this new jazz bass that was very bright, and was constantly peaking out my amp. What I wanted was a compressor that wouldn’t color the tone of my bass at all but would help me reign in some of those peaks, and was easy to configure. I bought the Aphex based primarily on reviews, and I was not disappointed in the least. Despite having several parameters you can adjust (which was overwhelming to me at first), it’s easy to configure because of the digital meters. It’s very easy to match the input to output levels, and to tell just how much compression you’re getting, and gauge when the attack and release are happening. Very easy to set up. And it didn’t change the tone of my bass in the least. I ran it through the effects loop of my Demeter preamp with a couple of short Monster angle to angle cables, and it sounded great. It does exactly what I wanted it to do: Compresses the peaks from my jazz bass without changing the tone. I think a big part of the great sound is the “tubessence” feature, which uses a tube in the output stage to give it some valve character. Sounds great.

Here is a link to photos:
    Aphex 661 Compressor pictures by rickj75 - Photobucket

Here are links to some reviews that were influential in my purchasing this particular compressor:
    Moulton Laboratories :: The Aphex 661 Expressor™ With Tubessence® And Easyrider® Tube Compressor/Limiter

George Shilling reviews Aphex 661 Tube Compressor/Limiter (Expressor)

These units sell for $749 new. Here is a link to Guitar Center’s website, showing a blemished unit selling for $681.00, along with some additional user reviews:
    Aphex 661 Expressor Compressor/Limiter and more Compressors & Limiters at GuitarCenter.com.

I am looking to sell the unit for $325.00 Paypal, shipped, via FedEx Ground. I am not interested in trades at this time, and I will not ship outside of the US. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Thanks!

2. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    Bump

3. virginiacreeper

virginiacreeper

Dec 9, 2009
    Denver
    This is exactly what I've been looking for. If it's still around when the tax return arrives I'll take it.

4. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    Price drop: $300 shipped.

5. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    One final price drop before it heads to ebay: $280 shipped.

6. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
  7. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
  8. jacoby75

jacoby75