Aphex Aural Exciter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by thrasher717, Jun 24, 2003.

1. thrasher717

Jan 17, 2003
    North Dakota
    Anyone use an Aphex Aural Exciter? A friend has one that he's not using -- he suggested I try it with my bass rig. Should this go through the effects loop? Before or after my eq pedal?

Is this similar to a Sonic Maximizer?
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Just curious - Is it the model with Big Bottom???

I've got room in my rack and I was thinking about popping the Aphex with Big Bottom in there, but I haven't tried one.

"Bass Player" reviewed one not too long ago, but, I never buy anything based on their reviews.
  3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    If its the rack unit, put it in your effects loop since its designed for line-level input. If its the pedal, its designed for instrument-level input, so put it between your bass and your amp.
  4. thrasher717

Jan 17, 2003
    North Dakota
    Yeah, it's the rack mount unit and it has Big Bottom. I'm thinking about using it just so I have an excuse to frequently say "I use an Aural Exciter with Big Bottom"
  5. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've got one of the pedal versions (has Big Bottom and Aural Exciter, just like the rack unit), and it has become a permanent fixture in my signal chain. I use it between my bass and amp, rather than in the effects loop, btw. It sits on top of my amp since I'm not switching it on and off, and sometimes use it as a DI, as well.

I love it. I have the "blend" settings dialed down very low, because with 900 watts and 8x10 speakers, I don't really need extra oomph, just a little mojo on the bottom. I also used it on a quick and dirty studio session... I didn't get much opportunity to experiment with it, but the engineer seemed to like what it did for the sound and so it was.

For someone like me who has a decent rig and a sound pretty close to what they want, I'd recommend it and suggest that 'a little goes a long way' on both the big bottom and exciter effects, which have separate tuning and blend controls. If you've got an underpowered amp with so-so tone, this thing can only improve your sound.

6. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
    i've always wanted to tell a female guitar player...

"Hey, can i put my aural exciter into your big muff?"
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Secret - You pretty much addressed my concern. I have an Eden speaker stack with an Aguilar preamp/QSC poweramp/SansAmp Bass Driver pushing the speakers. Plus, I usually use a custom bass that slaughters animals in pet stores.

I was wondering if something like the Exciter would have anything to offer that is audible. It sounds like from what you're saying, it would be a nice addition.

Thanks for the input!
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

SecretD summed it up very nicely. Another neat thing about the Aphex is that it performs its magic with no increase to signal level (except on extreme settings, and as mentioned it's best used gently). Most other enhancer devices do increase signal level... subharmonizers can be especially dangerous when used carelessly.