Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aphex Bass Exciter vs BBE Sonic Maximizer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lowendpurveyor, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Has anyone had experiences with either the Aphex Bass Exciter or the BBE Sonic Maximizer? If so what do you think?

2. powerslave

powerslave Guest

Feb 24, 2005
    United States
    i have the Exciter that i use with my smaller fender amp, and it works great. I have tried it with my big rig and have not spent enough time with it to get what i want from it ... yet. But i was wondering how it compares to the BBE version as well - anyone care to share their opinion on it, and how it compares?

3. I own an acoustic exciter. It works really well, especially the "big bottom" part. It seems to fit the sound of my passive RW/alder jazz better than my active maple/ash jazz bass (although the latter improves as well).

4. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Yeah I'm wondering about this so instead of a new thread. I really liked my bass exciter bit aggressive in sound so might want to try the acoustic one in the future but have no experience with the BBE at all.

5. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I have a BBE in my car stereo receiver and it works wonders. I've used them as part of a rackmount P.A. rig as well and I was impressed. I have heard, however, that using one with a single instrument isn't nearly as effective. I'd still like to find out for myself, though.

6. I'm running a BBE BMax preamp with the sonic maximizer.
    It's making my sound have alot more definition, and I can
    also dial in a bit more "punch" by tweaking the knobs a bit.

I use a sonic maximizer in my home studio and in my home
    theater system as well. I even got my bandleader to get
    one for our PA system.

The change can be subtle if you are not too aggressive with
    the knobs, but even set this way if you play with it on for
    awhile then turn it off, you really notice that it's missing.
    It clears up the sound and I don't know if someone looking
    for a "dirty" sound would find it appealing or not.

There are a lot of people using the solid state and tube
    versions who regularly post in the amps forum, why not ask there?

Hope this helps.

7. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I also have a BBE Bmax with the sonic maximizer. I like how the maximizer adds a little "sheen" to your sound. I don't add too much just a little to give me some more punch and clarity. My friend has an Aphex on his pedal board. I like the portability of the Aphex and from what I heard when he played his Smith through one was a noticeable improvement. It seems to have more flexibility and variety tonally than the BBE.
    Another one I have is the Behringer Dualfex which does the same thing. It actually has a cleaner sound than the maximizer. It adds a lot of character to your high end and does not get as boomy with the lows.

So the differences among the three that I mentioned:

Aphex- tonally more versatile. Not as subtle meaning you notice the difference in sound immediately.

BBE- adds character and refinement to your sound. Has a wetter, full body tone.

Behringer- Adds presence and clarity. Dryer tone and very sharp highs and punchy lows.

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I'm only really interested in the pedal versions, but thanks anyway for the advice

9. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    I used to use a rackmount BBE before I got a BMAX, I found I could a Marcus Miller kind of sheen and punch from it.

10. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I find that the improvements in sound are far more significant when matching the BBE to an intermediate-tone head and speaker combination than with a top quality preamp and cabinets. What sounded like a hugely noticeable improvement at the store using a Hartke setup is MUCH more subtle through my Alembic F-1X/Acme tower of power.

Lonnybass

11. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I won't play without my Xciter now.

It makes little amps -- or boomboxes or home stereos, for that matter -- sound great; my Tascam Bass Trainer sounds terrible without it! Even with my pro rig, I'd hardly like to be without it - have to watch-out for boominess with the big-rig, though.

I run something-like low tune = 5.5, low mix = 8, high tune = 6.5, high mix = 9 -- generally run the low tune higher for smaller amps; lower for bigger amps.

Joe

12. Xciter and sonic maximizer do slightly different things. There is a recent topic about those differences. I have bbe di-100 and it`s really good. Especially after my effects. It brings back all the punch and clarity that is lost when my stomp boxes are on. Don`t know much about Xciter.

13. I have the Aphex Acoustic Exciter and leave it on all the time.
    I chose the Acoustic over the bass exciter due to the specs, the bass exciter has a gap in mid frequencies somwhere, so I wanted the whole freq ranges to be effected. You can dial in just the right amount of effect in the tonality/freq range in low and high ends.
    :ninja: I also use the DI on the Aphex to go to the board and for recording, sound darn good IMO. BASS player mag did a review a few years ago if you want to find it.
    Dave.