Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aphex Bass Exciter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Apr 2, 2005.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    During my rounds to the local guitar shops, I was introduced to the aphex bass exciter. I didn't get a chance to try it out, cause I had to leave, but the shop owner who recommended it to me claimed its the best bass preamp/di box on the maket. Better than the sansamps, etc...I've used the Aphex punch factory and it's a really great compressor. So I was wondering if anyone on here has used/uses one of these. If so what are your thoughts??

2. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
  3. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    sorry i cant be of any help, ive never used one. have you looked at harmony central for a review?

4. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    thats a great idea...why didnt I think of that sooner?

5. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have one. It seems to deepen and fatten the sound of the bass. Someone said that it makes a small amp sound like a big amp (without the volume) and I agree. I don't use mine much, as I prefer to use a Sadowsky outboard preamp, or something similar. But the Aphex is a cool gadget, and I will probably get back to experimenting with it.

6. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Search...hmm, another novel idea. I'll give it a shot, thanks.

7. I picked one up recently, and aside from an absolute struggle to get it an AC adapter, I have a bit of a mixed opinion on it.

As has been said, if you keep the Blend knobs one or two notches over the middle and set it up to your liking, you can get a much fatter, bigger sound and, if it pleases you, clearer highs. However, the Bass Xciter is not an indispensible effect for me... some songs sound too "muffled" with it turned on, and I would rather have my clean P-Bass tone at work in those cases.

8. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Well, i bought one yesterday. And i'm liking it so far. But I agree with strangemusic's last post. It's not the most versatile pedal, but it did add a little meat to my bottom end. Which I needed with the new bass I got. Contrary to what my trusted dealer said I don't think it is the best preamp/di box on the market, I prefer the sansamp. It seems like I could get what it adds to my sound with a little eq adjusting. Anyway, I am going to continue to tweak it and see if I can or cant live without it.

9. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Also, if i do I definitely want the ac adapter, which i will have to hunt down. Because It's a pain in the but to change the battery. For some reason they used 4 ultra-long screws to attach the base plate. :confused:

10. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    maybe try sansamp BDDI - i've heard its really hard to get good settings on the Aphex, but Bassplayer Magazine did give it some good reviews...

i hav the BDDI, and i'm lovin it to bits...highly recommended

11. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Ive had one for a couple of years but cant get used to it.
    It seems to muddy the sound of my HW1 Jazz trough my MAG 300 C-115, even with the blends turned low. ive tried most settings both at gigs and rehearsals but always end up unplugging it.

Dave.