1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aphex Bass Exciter?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by shoot-r, Mar 16, 2009.

1. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Anyone else using a floor pedal Aphex Bass Exciter to fatten up the lows and make your amp/speaker cab seem larger and fuller?
    I've been running one into a G.K. 800 and then into a Avatar 4 ohm 115H cabinet.
    It "really" makes a difference.
    Anyone have any pros or cons of this unit?

2. I had one but got rid of it when I got a Line 6 amp with built in effects. I sold my Line 6 and now I wish I had the Aphex again. I am probably gonna get another one soon. It does do a nice job of fattening up your sound.

3. I have the Bass Xciter and a BBE Sonic Maximizer. The Bass Xciter absolutely DESTROYS the SM. It sounds WAY more natural and pleasent, and it is a lot more tweakable. Plus, you get a decent (not amazing, but functional) DI, and you can run the thing off of phantom power or any number of other power sources.

4. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Anyone use one in a live mix?

5. Do you mean use one live, or use one as an insert loop on a mixer or something like that?

I use my BX live, and it works great.

6. threshar

threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    I used one for a while and loved it.

I'm currently using a sansamp in its place now to add a bit of dirt (with proper tweaking you can get it to fill up the low end too). Maybe I'll pull the aphex out and try both in the mix... ooh.. thats got my attention now!

I was shocked when I got the thing and it actually did what the demo on their website does :)

7. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

The Aphex boxes work quite well. The Aphex Xciter process actually generates NEW harmonic detail. The Big Bottom process fattens up the bottom very well. I also use it in my home audio system with great results. Their compressor is nearly invisible.

What is unique about the Patented Aphex processes is that they do NOT use EQ. Your signal does not get bigger, so your amp and speaker are not stressed and you won't clip your signal. The BBE process, by comparison, is ALL bass and treble EQ, adding a lot of level to the signal, so you have to be careful about clipping and distortion.

One thing that really bothers me about the Aphex boxes, though, is the lack of the battery compartment. Having to take out some tiny screws to change a battery at a gig is just dumb. I hope that this will be changed in the near future. However, their gadgets work with ANY AC/DC power supply, so perhaps that is more important.