1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aphex Bass Xciter and Roland DB-700

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by funkygospel, Dec 20, 2006.

1. funkygospel

funkygospel Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2006
    I want to get some opinions on how much a bass xciter or BBE would increase the sound quality on my Roland. I am extremely happy with the sound it has now, but if there is anyway to give me a greater fingerstyle presence or beef up the slap tone by adding one of these two, I want to go ahead and take the plunge. I dont need a DI. In stating that, should I go ahead and scrounge up some more cash and get a Sansamp if that would be better than either of the two mentioned above?

Thanks in advance.

2. funkygospel

funkygospel Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2006
    bump

3. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    The sansamp will give you grit, which the Aphex won't.

They both do a similar-sounding thing in the low-end; I think the the Xciter's Big Bottom is better at it, though.

The Xciter will also do that thing that Aphex is so famous for - synthesize new, crisp high-frequency harmonics (it'll kick-up any noise that's at it's input a little too, though).

Another thing that the Xciter is great for is to put before a distortion (like bass > xciter > distortion > amp). Like I've said: especially an ODB-3; it really transforms that pedal!

I always use the Xciter. I mess with the controls, but always end-up back at 6½, 6½, 6½, 6½.

You may not usually need a direct-box, but it's pretty handy to have one available. It might be a show-saver some day, if it's the only DI in the building!

Joe