1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aphex Bass Xciter/Boss GEB7

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Wayne8, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Hello, first post.

Right now the only pedal I have for my bass is a compressor. I've been thinking about getting a Boss GEB-7 EQ. I'm running straight to the board and think I might need more control over the eq than the board gives.

I've also been thinking about an Aphex Bass Xciter because it can function as a DI and also just to improve/deepen the tone. It and the GEB-7 both get good reviews for bass. My question is, would it make sense to have both or would having one pretty much do the job of the other?

My other question is, if I'm already running straight to the board without a DI, do I really need one? It's a passive bass.

Thanks.

Thanks.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    A DI will allow your signal to transfer over a long cable with much less signal loss (either drop in overall level, or dullness of tone). This is especially true with passive basses. If you are using a short cable and standing right near the board then it will make less of a difference.

The Aphex and the EQ can serve similar functions, but they don't entirely overlap. I personally think an EQ is more useful because it is clear what changes you make and how they affect the sound, vs. the Aphex which offers very little control or explanation. But there are plenty of people who like Aphex or BBE exciters, so maybe just try it for yourself. An EQ is a useful tool, much less a question of "like it or don't like it"- it's just useful.

3. I think that, given your situation, you would be best off spending a few more dollars (or about the same number of dollars if you go used) on an MXR M-80. It has a very nice sounding three band EQ and a DI all in one box. I have the Bass Xciter, and it is a pretty handy little gadget, but it doesn't feel confidence-inspiring at all.

4. In what way is it not 'confidence-inspiring'?

And thanks for the replies so far.

5. It just doesn't feel as solidly built as most other stompboxes. It doesn't feel cheap, just not quite as solid. The jacks are probably the weakest link.