Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by slimjazz, Jul 8, 2005.

1. slimjazz

Jul 2, 2005
    Lately, I've been doin some rearranging and upgrading on my pedal board. Does anyone know anything about the Aphex bass xciter? Is it the same thing as the Sansamp? whats the difference?
    Can they be used at the same time in a chain to really beef up your tone?

I'm also havin trouble as far as the order of effects go, I know I want my Aphex Punch Factory to be in first of of the chain to even out the signal and protect my speakers and my Digitech Bass chorus at the very last..from past research and observations the three facts I've picked up on are 1) the distortion should be b4 the bass XCITER(I'm not sure why though) 2) Compression should be first 3) the Q-tron+ should be before the overdrive/distortion pedal and not after..

here are some options that i thought on with the order..

Aphex Comp>>Qtron+>>Sansamp driver>>Double Muff(distortion)>>Aphex BAss Xciter>>Digitech Chorus
    Aphex Comp>>Sansamp driver>>Qtron+>>Double Muff(distorion)>>Bass Xciter>>Digitech Chorus
    or C)
    Qtron+>>Aphex Comp>>Sansamp
    Driver>>distortion>>APhexXciter>>Digitech Chorus

I do not intend to use the sansamp as a DI.
    so what do you think?
    For the most part I know that I want compression first and chorus last..Its the order of the Q-tron+, Sansamp,Xciter, and the Double Muff in between that is killin me. ANY opinions, suggestions, and HELP are welcome. Thanks
  2. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I believe the Q tron responds differently to different picking dynamics, so it should be BEFORE your compressor.
  3. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

Not sure why, but I put my Xciter at the end of the signal chain.

I seem to get more bass out of it that way.... Oh, I guess that's why.

Also, I put my distortion before my envelopes. Sometimes I like sending an overdriven signal to the Qtron.
  4. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    The sansamp and xciter are very different. I used both in a chain for a while. The sansamp gives a tube-like warmth (as well as grit if you want to dial that in) whereas the xciter adds depth and "air" without becoming overly bassy. IMHO chaining the two produces a tone that sounds great by itself, but tends not to punch through in a loud band setting. I also found chaining the two to add a lot of noise to the signal. I took the sansamp out of my signal chain (though still carry it everywhere as a backup), but kept the xciter in. Even with it in, I found less is generally better. I usually dial in just enough of the "big bottom" to get the depth I want, but no more (about at "3"). I usually leave the xciter side off completely...
  5. slimjazz

Jul 2, 2005
    thanks for the help so far..
    so is it safe enought to say that I should put my Aphex compressor after my Qtron?

cmon people I know more of you know a lot more about this!! pls help! thanks

how would you do my effects chain and why? given the effects that I have and keepin the compressor somewhere in the beginning.
  6. slimjazz

Jul 2, 2005

So is it better for me to put the Xciter even after the chorus? the very last thing on my chain considering everything else?
  7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Well, you say that you want to use a compressor to protect your speakers. In that case, wouldn't it be logical that the compressor would be at the end of the chain? There it can protect from dynamic variations such as those the qtron will give you.
    I'd also agree that the use of the BAss XCiter AND a sansamp at the same time isa bit of overkill.
    I'd do bass->distortion->filter->chorus->compressor
    As to where the sansamp / xciter fit in there, only you can answer that question. You're going to get different sounds each way.
    Try 'em at the start, try 'em at the end (before the compression) and see which works best for you.