Aphex Bass Xciter vs Sansamp Bass Driver DI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by renquan, Feb 18, 2005.

1. renquan

Sep 9, 2004
    How are the two above, when compared?

What are their good points? I'm looking to improve my bass tone (make it more lively), considering to get a bass xciter but worried that it wont do the job.

Please comment
  2. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    The best thing to do is to try both of them through your rig with your bass. That is the only way to know for sure which one works best for you. That said, the SansAmp BDDI will ALWAYS be a part of my rig.
  3. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I own the Xciter and I've tried the BDDI a few times. They are both very good pedals. Both pedals enable you to adjust your tone. Each pedal is different with regard to "how" you adjust your tone (number of tone nobs & method of tone processing, etc.), thus, which pedal sounds best depends on your ears and your other gear IMHO. The BDDI has an overdrive capability, the Xciter does not. I can't comment on the DI quality, they both seem like they'll function as standard DI boxes. Researching the respective manufacturer's site will provide more details. best to try them out if at all possible, as Bass Shy stated.
  4. I have both. Though I haven't tried any A/B experiments, I'll give you my 2 cents.

The SBDDI is really like a little pre-amp. It does a very good job of shaping the tone and emulating a tube section. The Aphex is kinda like a Sonic Maximizer. It's obvious effect is the deepening of the bass in a way that is more than just a bass boost and crisping up the high-end.

If you already have a pre-amp on your amplifier (which I assume you do since nobody plugs directly into a power-amp except for a few ultra-purists, perhaps), I recommend the Aphex. It's cheaper and improves your tone significantly in a way that a pre-amp can't do. The SBDDI is good for recording direct or patching directly into a PA. In that case, you could use both pedals.

- Dave
  5. Mikemike

Mikemike Miscreant

Jun 18, 2002
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Having owned both, I prefer the sansamp. The sound of the xciter is great, and I'd like to say I'd buy it again, but after about a year of use every time I played, the inputs began to short out all the time, eventually not working at all. Now, I know I could fix a problem like this with some time and a soldering iron, but the circuit board is constructed so that I would have to rip the damned thing apart to get to the guts. So, that said, they both sound superb, but the sansamp holds up better, and is a little more versatile. And it has distortion. Oh yeah. In a recording situation, the sansamp wins hands down. I recorded my parts on an album just through the sansamp, and I didn't even need any equalizing afterwards. I just put a compressor on it, and it sounds amazing.
  6. Yeah, the SansAmp is great for that. The Aphex shouldn't really be used by itself for recording, though, it probably can depending on the instrument.

They're really different species. It's like comparing a chorus to a flanger. :)

- Dave
  7. Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    What would be best as a DI for a 1000 seat venue. The DI box they include sucks and I have been think of get the SansAmp once the new one comes out and the old one's price drops.
  8. renquan

Sep 9, 2004
    hi all, I've already bought a aphex xciter off ebay. Will try it out first and maybe wait for the programmable sansamp to be out before buying it.

Anyway I'm quite nwebie in bass, so pardon me for the questions if they sound silly :D