Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

APHEX BASS XCITER

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DenisW, Aug 22, 2004.

1. DenisW

DenisW

May 5, 2002
    Cork,Ireland
    I love this Pedal.But my only problem with it is the active/passive switch.I have an active Bass (Warwick Thumb).I play the Bass on active all the time.When I switch the pedal to active mode,there is a big difference in volume when I bypass the Pedal.When I leave it in passive mode,there is no problem (I only need to back off the gain on my amp a little bit).Am I damaging my Amp or Pedal when I leave it in Passive mode with an active Bass?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Unless your clipping light on your amp is constant, you shouldn't be hurting anything.

3. Bennet Pullen

Bennet Pullen

Aug 31, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I have that pedal and use it with my Streamer stage II. You can change the gain on the internal preamp I think. I have mine set so that there is no volume difference between active and passive mode on my bass, so I can run the Aphex in passive mode, even when my bass is active. When I had the gain up on my pre-amp I had to use the passive mode or I got some distortion. So my guess is if you're not getting distortion don't worry about it.

4. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    How do you guys like that pedal? I have the punch factory, and am in love.

5. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I have the peadal but somehow cant seem to get THE tone out of it.
    What settings do you guys use?

Dave.

6. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I have the both the punch factory and the exciter. I play a warwick infinity (active) through them. If I keep them in the passive mode I can overdrive them pretty easily. So I keep them in the active mode. I get a pretty nasty volume drop off when I switch the pedals off. I use the Eden Navigator pre-amp that doesn't have a dedicated passive or active input or pad button. I leaning toward not using them for this reason.

Alan

7. Gary Allen

Gary Allen

Sep 5, 2004
    I have written review for Aphex on the Guitar Xciter and the Acoustic Xciter. I have not had a chance to try the Bass Xciter yet, but I really enjoyed the other two. I recently did a review for BBE Sound on thier Sonic Maximizer and I think I kind of prefer it for the guitar, but like I said, I have not had a chance to try the Bass Xciter yet.

Gary Allen

8. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I wanted to like the 1402. It did make things sound "bigger." There was a lot of hiss from this unit. Was mine an isolated problem?

9. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    It depends on what bass I am playing as to what settings I use:
    I prefer using these settings on a passive bass:
    Lo Tune - 5 or 6
    Lo Blend - 7 or 8
    Hi Tune - 2 or 3
    Hi Blend - 7 or 8

On an active bass I don't uses as much Blend:
    Lo Tune - 4 or 5
    Lo Blend - 5 or 6
    Hi Tune - 2 or 3
    Hi Blend - 5 or 6

10. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've tried my Bass Exciter with both my active and passive basses, and I found that it works best with with the passive option engaged regardless of the type of bass. That said, I've found that I personally prefer using it just with only the passive basses (Fenders).