1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aphex Bass Xciter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mouthmw, Jan 17, 2012.

1. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Anyone still use one?
    I was thinking of fattening up my tone on my passive jazz through GK 700RB II and NEO 412 GK. However, I'm worried it would scoop my tone and that I'd lose the trademark GK punch and be buried in the mix. And I've read about distortion issues.

So, still a good pedal or are there much better products now to choose from?

2. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    hmmmmmh, possible bump? :D

3. I still have one, but it's "on the shelf" and I haven't used it in quite a while... Ended up with it in a trade deal and tried it out on my board for a little bit. Not bad, but like you said it scoops mids pretty good. I didn't have any problems with distortion though.

In the end, I moved on... I liked my clearer tone with it off. Even in a low to moderate volume church choir, I felt like my tone lacked some of the definition I was used to and while I wouldn't say I got lost in the mix, it didn't sit as well as with the Xciter off.

That's not to say the Aphex won't work for someone else, it just wasn't for me. As with all gear, individual results may vary! :)

5sg.

4. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Thanks!
    Just as I thought!

I think I dig my punchy GK mids too much to go and mess with my tone.
    If it ain't broke...! :D

5. True, if it ain't broke... I'm just one person though. :)

If you're exploring tonal options and are looking for something in the DI/preamp category, might be worth checking out an Aguilar Tone Hammer. It smokes the Aphex and mine will be on my board permanently.

5sg.

6. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I had a Tone Hammer pedal over a year ago.. But then I had an old Kustom 130W amp. It was awesome, but I eventually sold it to get my GK amp.
    I'm not too sure that would be a good choice to fatten/warm up my tone a bit.
    But that AGS sure was nice, when not over cranked.

7. The Aphex exciter is an exciter... basically a midscoop pedal.
    It's very nice for hifi slap stuff - but for regular playing there are some serious mids lacking.
    I have it just like gecko - on the shelf.

8. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    i only use it on low volume gigs where i feel like i am almost not playing at all. works great in that situation.

9. Hmm... True, "tonal options" and "fattening tone" aren't always the same thing. What about something like a VT Bass? No DI, but EQ with some great color and thickness. I've also had great results with a Catalinbread SFT, their Motown demo is what sealed the deal on that one for me). Good beef without as much color as the VT. Just a couple more thoughts without knowing exactly what the tone is that you have in your head. ;)

I went back to my Sansamp BDDI after shelving the Aphex, then got the VT for kicks to use on a secondary board to see what the hype was about. Decided I liked the VT better with the mid control and character knob, so the two switched places and then in came the Tone Hammer to fill the DI spot and have clean EQ options. I agree with you on the AGS... Love the sound but easy to overdue!

5sg.

10. Makes sense - a loudness button so to speak. I haven't tried it that way.

11. Thanks for starting this mouthmw, it has answered the questions I have had for a while. Will happily stick with my VT bass and consider installing a DI into it.

12. Makatak

Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    Not true IMO , Ive found it in fact boosts mids [ along with everything else ] and really fattens up my tone , the best pedal ive ever bought and never gig without it , turns my rig from killer to epic!

13. Uhh... Boosts mids? Ummmmm... :eyebrow:

5sg.

14. Makatak, I just felt content for 6 minutes :D now it is ruined.

Thanks for opinion, because things were getting one sided.

15. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    I have one and do like it as well. It does fatten up tone, but I use it very gingerly, I think I have the blends on 12:00 (a little adds a lot!).

I really only use it to add some lows back into my signal due to some loss from my OD. I have only had it about 3 weeks, but I do like it and i don't see myself getting rid of it anytime soon.

It doesn't seem to scoop mids for me, at least not excessively so in my opinion, but I can see that happening if you really crank the blend(s) on it.

My signal path is tuner -> compressor -> VT Bass -> LS2 for selecting clean/dirty(Aggie Agro) -> Xciter -> ISP Decimator -> amp.

Good Luck!

EDIT: I agree with fivestringgecko about the TH. It is solid as a rock, while i don't think the Xciter (the older version anyways) is built near as well. However, i actually returned my TH to MF to pickup a used Xciter in the classifieds here as I don't have DI needs at this time and really i was just using the TH to boost my lows, but the TH just didn't work for me at this time. So far, the Xciter is doing exactly what i want/need.