APHEX BigBottom tasty treat or tone killer?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ted13, Mar 23, 2004.

1. tasty treat

2. tone killer

0 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ted13

Mar 12, 2004
    montreal quebec
    I've seen all the bass exciter ad's and they are quite convincing i am wondering what you guys think? i have great tone already but a huge low end that doesn't kill the rest of your tone would be a nice addition. lemme know.
  2. Tasty treat. But sometimes the bottom end gets a tad unruly...use with subtlety to help the tone bloom, anything more you're just asking for vertigo.
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I agree with Mon R.

My six bits: generally speaking, the Aphex is most effective with rigs that need help (smaller amps, f'r instance). However my main gig rig is a fairly high-end system, very powerful, great tones: with this rig, the Aphex 204 improvements are subtle, but the additional girth and shimmer are still noticeable, so I kick it in for certain rooms where I need an extra something. As a side note, it can also make bass strings sound more lively if they're going dead.

Over-tweaking can definitely cause bad results: distortion of highs and lows (not like fuzz, but still unpleasant), and loss of midrange definition. But the manual is extremely useful: it contains detailed instructions and explanations, including a graphic which shows which settings will have extreme and probably undesirable results. IMO, as long as the recommended settings are followed, the Aphex won't "kill your tone".

Best example I can think of: for awhile, I was running a pair of SWR Goliath Jr. 2x10 cabs. I liked my tone, but in certain acoustic environments the low end was wanting. The Aphex gave my Juniors additional girth... it was kinda like adding a fifteen under the tens... so I left it engaged all the time. Now that I'm using a more hi-fi brand of speakers I use the Aphex less, but as mentioned I still find it useful from time to time.
  4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist

How is it as a DI box?
  5. As a d.i. box in a live sense, I have no idea.
    As a d.i. in a studio sense, I use it in conjunction with a SansaAmp BDDI, or a POD (and a seperate track with mik'd cab) and to be honest, haven't used it standalone. Sorry.

If'n I'm tracking soon, I'll give it a shot, letcha know.