Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

APHEX BigBottom tasty treat or tone killer?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ted13, Mar 23, 2004.

1. tasty treat

100.0%
  2. tone killer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ted13

ted13

Mar 12, 2004
    montreal quebec
    I've seen all the bass exciter ad's and they are quite convincing i am wondering what you guys think? i have great tone already but a huge low end that doesn't kill the rest of your tone would be a nice addition. lemme know.

2. Tasty treat. But sometimes the bottom end gets a tad unruly...use with subtlety to help the tone bloom, anything more you're just asking for vertigo.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I agree with Mon R.

My six bits: generally speaking, the Aphex is most effective with rigs that need help (smaller amps, f'r instance). However my main gig rig is a fairly high-end system, very powerful, great tones: with this rig, the Aphex 204 improvements are subtle, but the additional girth and shimmer are still noticeable, so I kick it in for certain rooms where I need an extra something. As a side note, it can also make bass strings sound more lively if they're going dead.

Over-tweaking can definitely cause bad results: distortion of highs and lows (not like fuzz, but still unpleasant), and loss of midrange definition. But the manual is extremely useful: it contains detailed instructions and explanations, including a graphic which shows which settings will have extreme and probably undesirable results. IMO, as long as the recommended settings are followed, the Aphex won't "kill your tone".

Best example I can think of: for awhile, I was running a pair of SWR Goliath Jr. 2x10 cabs. I liked my tone, but in certain acoustic environments the low end was wanting. The Aphex gave my Juniors additional girth... it was kinda like adding a fifteen under the tens... so I left it engaged all the time. Now that I'm using a more hi-fi brand of speakers I use the Aphex less, but as mentioned I still find it useful from time to time.

4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist

How is it as a DI box?

5. As a d.i. box in a live sense, I have no idea.
    As a d.i. in a studio sense, I use it in conjunction with a SansaAmp BDDI, or a POD (and a seperate track with mik'd cab) and to be honest, haven't used it standalone. Sorry.

If'n I'm tracking soon, I'll give it a shot, letcha know.
    Late!
    Ron