Aphex bigbottom vs. BBE???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jock, Mar 24, 2004.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Whats the difference?
    They seem to do the same thing on paper, right? :meh:
    Does the BBE give more bass without craving more power and bigger speakers like the Aphex claim to do?
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I currently own the Aphex 204. I've never owned a BBE, but I recently read the BP magazine review of the BBE Bmax and Bmax-T preamps. In it, the reviewer stated that the low-end processing of BBE enhancement is done via increasing signal level of bass frequencies... seemed to me to be a fancy way of saying EQ.

So: both Aphex and BBE perform enhancement on both highs and lows separately. Here's my layman's understanding of the methods behind each device:

Harmonic generation for highs, phase manipulation for lows

Phase manipulation for highs, signal boost for lows.

We know that the Aphex device produces little or no increase in signal level, but it seems that the BBE does when Lo Contour is used. TalkBasser djnylonpants works for BBE... perhaps he can correct/clarify if necessary (I generally respect BP, but won't stake my reputation on their accuracy...)
  3. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Aphex vs. BBE Review

I use BBE. Don't know much about Aphex.

The BBE Process knob restores clarity, detail and air in a way that plain EQ cannot by making upper harmonics arrive when they should relative to lower-frequency sounds. The Process knob also boosts upper-mid and treble frequencies in program-dependent fashion to accentuate the effect.

The Lo Contour knob operates in the same manner as the upper-frequency process, aligning harmonics with the lower fundamental frequencies through BBE’s proprietary process. Again, the Lo Contour function provides program-contextual low-end "enhancement" that cannot be achieved with a standard EQ.

The BBE process restores the time alignment of the frequency spectrum, compensating primarily for delayed high frequencies. Our ears give special treatment to those sounds that arrive first. Delaying high frequencies makes for an indistinct sound. BBE gets the high- and upper-mid frequencies out front, restoring the openness and clarity of the audio in the process. The BBE process also offers some time-corrected low-frequency EQ.
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The bold is mine. Seems that low-end signal boost does occur in the BBE. I'm not making any judgment as to which unit sounds better (that's a matter of taste), but the question asked was, "does the BBE enhance lows by boosting signal level?"
  5. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    What I need is something to fatten up my little rig without blowing the speakers. So I guess the Aphex is the way to go for me.
  6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

BBE won't blow your speakers any more than anything else. You really need to hear each one.