1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aphex Punch Factory - LEDs Purpose?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by EBMan, Aug 22, 2007.

1. EBMan

EBMan Guest

Oct 10, 2006
    I confirmed with Aphex that the LEDs should light up on the Punch Factory when on or off. I guess it runs a second circuit to the leds in bypass mode. But I couldn't get a clear understanding from them as to how to interpret the LEDs. When I use the Punch Factory the LEDs seem to stay the same whether the unit is on or off. The drive knob also controls the LEDs whether the unit is on or off.

Does anyone have a detailed explanation of how to use them? Am I missing something simple here?

2. I have noticed the same thing.

3. On a related topic: I remember reading in a BP review that you could confirgure an internal jumper to allow the LEDs to light up as a bar instead of singles. There is no mention of this in the manual and I can't find anything to change when I take the bottom off. Has this been changed?

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Honestly, the best thing is to use an external mixer, with reliable VU meters, to set your levels. The LEDs on the PF are meaningless Christmas lights IMO.

5. EBMan

EBMan Guest

Oct 10, 2006
    I wonder if they show what the compensation would be if the unit was operating? They are tied to the knob at all times. That might explain why they are the same when in bypass and when on.

6. high mileage

high mileage

Apr 17, 2006
    Rockford IL
    Yeah, but they look cool. My own scientific method of setting it is to adjust the drive knob so that the lights bounce around when I'm playing, then the volume to bring it back to the same level whether it's in or out...

7. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    Hey High Mileage!
    That is a great explanation of "equal whatever". And I feel one should do it to all effects (aside from some kind of boost effect).

Also, I'd imagine since blue LEDs cause cancer, Aphex is involved in some sort of evil LED conspiracy! You better get a Demeter..and fast!

<drnk j/king!>