1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aphex Punch Factory or Tech 21 Programmable Bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CraigG, Jun 20, 2007.

1. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    This may be a strange question, but given the choice between these two as a way of getting a signal direct to the PA and where the PA was the only source of amplification for your bass, which would you use?

Also, are there differences in quality worth noting in a recording situation?

Craig

2. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    If you're playing clean, I'd say the Punch Factory. If you wanna add some grit, I'd say the sansamp. If you want footswitchable versatility in your tones, I'd also say the sansamp.

3. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    If I already owned both and was choosing one or the other, probably the SA.

If I was considering buying one or the other soley for that purpose...I'd keep looking.

Both are good boxes, I just feel there are better options out there...that's all.

4. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Care to share some of the options you would recommend? I''m in the market but don't want to spend an arm and a leg but still want something good.

I want something that's clean, yet reasonably versatile for those times when I don't need to take my amp and can take advantage of running direct. Effects aren't a big deal to me, but compression is something I'd like to have available depending on what I'm playing.

Thanks!

Craig

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Well considering these are very different units and all you want to do is get your sound to the desk I recommend picking up a decent DI like a Countryman or a Radial JDI or Pro.

Hope this helps

6. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    That's my suggestion as well. Radial makes some nice stuff! I've got an Aggie DB900, but it ain't cheap...but it gives me a nice tubey sound that I love, and when I couple that with my EBS Valve Drive as a preamp...DAMN!

7. BetterBottomEnd

BetterBottomEnd <- Not me I just like looking at her

Jan 9, 2007
    Cable Wi
    You might also look at the Sadowsky outboard Pre/DI its a very nice little unit that cost no more then the Sansamp.

8. Smacky the Frog

Smacky the Frog

Nov 15, 2006
    I used the Aphex as a D.I. before. It works well for acoustic guitars, but I don't know if I'd use it for basses, ESPECIALLY passive basses. I'd pick the Tech 21.

9. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Thanks all. I guess what I'm most concerned about at this point is having the option of adding some compression. Do any of these you have suggested include that?

I have compression built into my Nemesis NA650, but if I'm going to a gig or studio without my amp, I'd like to have some control to take the edge off and it would be nice to have both the compression and the DI all in one unit.

Thanks again,

Craig

10. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I own both.The Punch Factory never leaves my pedal board. Its a nice subtle compressor and an ok DI but its too fragile of a unit to have banging around loose. The jacks are not attached to the caseing which is a huge issue if they get reefed on by a cable!

The Sans Amp is an industry standard used my many pros when a bass rig is not available.They record well and make a great DI as long as you realize that the tone shaping is not subtle.

They can be tweaked quite a bit and generally sound good for most applications. They are designed to replicate an SVT rig cranked up. Not a bad thing at all but not eveyone's taste.

If I had to choose, for what you are going to be using it for, the Sans Amp hands down. By the way, Sans Amp tends to compress a bit anyway.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2021