Aphex Punch Factory settings

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ric426, Apr 17, 2005.

1. ric426

ric426 Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Does anyone have an instruction sheet for an Aphex Punch Factory or can suggest some settings? I received a used one yesterday and I'm still trying to determine if it's even working properly. Either this thing is *way* more subtle than any other compressor I've used, and if so, is not what I'm looking for, or it's not working properly and needs to go back. I get activity in the LED compression display (even when bypassed) but it has virtually no effect on the audio. At most, a barely perceptible sustain enhancememnt. I've tried setting it any number of ways, tried the active and passive input setting, and tried 3 different basses, but nothing has made any difference. Is this thing even supposed to be able to squash the signal a little bit?
    My main concern is verifying that this thing is working properly soon, so I know whether to arrange a return or not. If it's working as intended, but just not doing what I expected, I'll see if I can resell it and consider it a lesson learned.
  2. Im having the same issues. This box doesnt sound like it does anything..even when cranked. I know that you should hear good compressors, but when cranked it ought to be really squishing the sound
  3. So let me understand..is it that you WANT a squishy bass tone? That's really odd. ;)

Seriously tho, I like mine just fine and yeah, it's a helluva lot more transparent than other compressors, but that's the beauty in it. It subtley clips off the peaks, and since it's an optical variety compressor, it "learns" after being played in the loop a little while where those peaks are and becomes even more transparent.

So yeah, I think you have the wrong compressor for your needs, or maybe the wrong impression of what good compression is. :bassist:
  4. ric426

ric426 Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Speaking for myself, no, I don't want to squish my sound, I'm just used to compressors that do that and tend to use that "squish point" to tell me when I'm overdoing it. I think it's more a case of this unit being very subtle, and that's certainly a good thing. I was looking for something in a foot pedal compressor that would let me bring out a punchier attack and apparently misunderstood the "Punch Factory" name. I guess it's intended to "punch through the mix" more than just give more attack. I have an old Alesis NanoCompressor that does give me enough control to get a little more punch in the attack, but it's got more than just the threshold and output volume controls. I should probably look for something along those lines and just use a footswitch if I need to bypass it.
    I hear that the RNC Compressor is pretty good.
  5. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I just thought I'd say that I've heard very good things about the EHX Black Finger. I haven't yet had a chance to try it, but I'd really like to. You may wanna check it out.

6. Dude, I know what you're saying, completely. And yeah, the RNC is exactly that. I don't have one in my rig, but my guitarist has one at the studio he works at. Also, a very smooth compressor.

really nice. :D
  7. ric426

ric426 Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Thanks, but I already looked there. That manual is just for the Exciter pedals.
  8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Um . . . no, you shouldn't. You're missing the point.

If you want a noticeable squish to your tone as an effect, pick up any cheap compressor pedal. If you want to transparently enhance your tone, get a quality compressor.

9. But if you crank a compressor you should hear artifact. I dont play with a squished tone, but I cant hear this doing anything including slightly leveling off peaks at low settings. I have lots of experiences with comps and this honest doest seem to do anything. I just want to konw if I have it set up wrong?

Currenty, Drive at 7 and volume at 5
  10. compressor artifact..like pumping and breathing
  11. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I have a Punch Factory as well, and one thing I've noticed that it doesn't pump and breathe, at least not that I've noticed. But I know it's doing its job (my ears and recording input meters tell me that.) If I want pump-and-breathe (and I don't!), I'll go with the junk compressor that's built into my old Hartke head. Good amp, horrible compressor. ;)

I usually keep the volume on 7 or 8, and Drive to taste.
  12. You're simply not used to how an optical compressor sounds. Neither was I, until I got mine.
    Dude, seriously, if you don't like it, that's fine, but don't dismiss it because you want to convince yourself that because it doesn't do what you're used to, that is "doesn't work".

It simply does work. Use it or sell it.
  13. ric426

ric426 Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I can understand fralim01's confusion. I'm not used to studio quality compressors and expected the Punch Factory to be more obvious in it's affect on the sound. It does do what it's intended, but not more than that. Personally, I think the "Punch Factory" name might create a misleading impression (at least for me) and I expected something other than what it is.
    I don't know that I'll really need it, but I'll give it a little time and see if it'll be useful to me.
  14. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I thought the name "Punch Factory" might have been a little misleading at first too, but then I recorded with it. On playback through a mid-level stereo system, I could feel the bass in my chest. Punch indeed. I'm trying it at a gig for the first time this weekend.
  15. my settings: Drive 6.5
    Volume 7
  16. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have been thinking about getting one of these. Has anybody tried out the DI?
  17. lwleaver

lwleaver Something cute and clever.

Apr 10, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    I just got one about two weeks ago and I think it is great. I can tell it is working but I never get any LED indicators except for power up. I play a modulus 5 string with active electronics and figured I would seen the LED moving a bit but it never comes on, at all. Has anyone else experienced this? I am not sure if it is defective in some way. Sorry to jump in on this thread, but there are a lot of knowledgable users commenting and figured I could use your experience.