Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aphex Punch Factory technical question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dadodetres, Sep 4, 2005.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    any body knows where at the "VOL" knob is 0dB ???
    it goes from 0 to 10, so maybe its at 12 o`clock (5).

other question, how does the "optical compressor" work?
    i can understand the standard (VCA) compressor, but ive been told that opticals had something to do with light...

so what do the "drive" control does? (treshhold? rate? ¿?)

and: what does the "sorce: dry/wet" does?¿

thancks!

2. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    You can use a CdS cell with a light source in front of it as a controllable variable resistor; pair it with another resistor, and you can make it into a voltage divider - like a potentiometer.

The CdS cell has it's own natural attack and release curves which tend to sound real musical along with more conventional resistor- and capacitor- based 'envelope' controls in the detection circuitry partially overriding them.

A big advantage to optical, in my mind, is how you can have all sorts of analog and/or (even) digital circuitry for the light source, but none of this is ever actually in the audio path. the only thing in the optical path are 'pure, passive resistances'!

Joe

3. by my way of thinking that would totally depend on the specifics of your setup and setting it at such a "technically correct" level would not necessarily result in something that sounds as if it's at the same volume.

For instance, a heavily compressed tone tends to sound louder, even though if you measured it it might come up at the same dB as the bypassed tone. Ever wondered why TV commercials always seem louder than the program? Heavy compression is to blame, and they get away with it because "technically" the adds are at the same level as the programs.

So, to answer the question, it is in the position where it sounds the same as the bypassed level. There's no set 0dB position.

But, having never looked at one of these things, I can't answer your other questions. Have you tried looking at the website or reading the manual?!?!

4. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

there is something as dbU or dbV wich means certain level. but when we speak of "dB" means a comparison between 2 signals.

the compressor changes the vol of the input signal, and with the vol knob you can set it to not alter the general level, so THE WHOLE PROCES is 0dB.

if we take each part (compression and make up gain) each part alters the level. My question is only taking consideration on the level knob, i wanted to know were is the 0dB, so in what position thet knob doesnt alter the level, so i can hear ONLY the compression.

hope i was clear enough!

thancks!

5. decibels are ALWAYS a comparison between two levels (a ratio). dBµ, dBu, dBv etc etc are all just ratios based on different comparision voltage levels. Anyway, just clearing up a technical point.

There's no set 0dB position as far as I can tell - it's not designed like that. All you can do is match the volume whilst set on the minimum compression setting, and then crank up the compression to where you want it set and compare.

Still, I'm not quite following why you want to do this, as even if you do turn up the level (past 0dB) you're still hearing the full effect of the compression - just louder - like turning up your amp!

6. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

thancks!

that will do!