aphex punch factory vs boss cs-3?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gingerfish, Jan 7, 2005.

1. taking into account i am new to effects and i have been told that compression is am essential effect to have a t least tried which do you think i should get taking into account the aphex is twice as much as the other?
  2. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I have the Aphex and it's great, well worth it in my opinion. It compresses well without a bunch of pumping and breathing and sucking the life out of my tone. I've never used the Boss though, so I can't comment on that one.
  3. TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    I believe the Boss cs-3 is designed for guitar, the Boss LMB-3 is the Bass version. I tried one of those recently and there was a ton of background hiss,I was not happy with it at all, Maybe it was just the one I tried though. I have heard a bunch of good reviews on the aphex punch factory. Good Buzz usually is a good indication of the product.
  4. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I wouldn't say that it's essential, most of what you would use a compressor for in a live environment could be handled by utilizing good technique and proper set-up instead. I wouldn't even call a compressor an "effect" per se, but rather a "tool". Having said all of this, there are times when a compressor is nice to have, because *if used correctly* it can help a bass punch through the mix a bit by squeezing the frequency range together. The Punch Factory is a great unit, but keep in mind that compressors often cause more problems than they cure if you're not careful.
  5. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    If youre new to effects I would certainly recommend the Punch Factory. I never liked the Boss anyway, but the Aphex only has one knob. How much can you mess that up? Whilst it isnt the most versatile compressor, its good and simple.

And people tell me the DI is good too. :)
  6. Go with the Punch Factory...the Boss is a confusing piece of trash with maybe one usable (not necessarily good) tone in it. The PF is musical and simple.

Ref. the above post regarding the Boss LMB-3 Limiter/Enhancer...yeah, the Enhancer function sucks because it enhances the treble end, thereby adding unwanted hiss. I use it and I love it, but I set it as a Limiter, which is simply a compressor with a very high compression ratio with a quick release. The enhancer is completely off. I use this pedal to tame my attack but still maintain the dynamics of the technique and note.
  7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Give a try to this little guy.

It basically does the same thing as the Boss CS-3, except that it actually works fine.
    It also doubles as a phone amp and buffered signal splitter.
    Cost about 150 us$.
  8. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Can't speak for the others, but I crush my signal with the Boss CS unit full-time. I wouldn't imagine that it's as good as the high-end ones, but I get a good sound out of it with the knobs set (speaking left-to-right) 12:00, 2:30, 2:00, 11:30 (I'm talkin' CRUSH - I have to play very lightly for the signal to actually get quieter!). I like low thresholds, but I think the pre-set ratio is too high on the Boss; It sounds like 8:1 or something, and I'd prefer five-or-six to one, or something more like that. I'd also prefer a little faster release, but the surging (pumping) is pretty minimal - not much of a problem. I think I get a little less surging if I turn down the tone control (I'm boosting treble with it as-is at 2:30 - sometimes 3:00 - but the high-boost works as a sort of 'pre-emphasis' for the distortion that follows, and I have highs cut a little on the amp too. I guess if I wasn't running the O.D. I'd set the tone at more-like 1:00 or 1:30.)

Hey - it's only $80, right?

I'll take this opportunity once again to preach about my super-duper 'overdriven tube amp sound': CS-3 set as described above, followed by the Boss ODB-3 set Level=5:00 (max), Bass=12:30, Treble=7:00 (min), Blend=9:00, Gain=7:00 (min). Ooooo.. Le'me tell ya! It slays.

9. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Although I haven't tried it myself, something you might want to check out is the Electro-Harmonix Black Finger. I've heard very good things about it. :)

Graeme :bassist:
  10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    And you're proud of this? No dynamics in your playing, no nuances? To each his own, but that's my own personal nightmare..