Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by slimjazz, Jul 6, 2005.

1. slimjazz

Jul 2, 2005
    I know different people have diffrerent opinions about compressors and recently I have been in a hunt for a compressor pedal.. Lately, I've been seriously looking into the Aphex Punch Factory. Does anyone have any knowledge, experience, and/or opinion about this pedal? and also can someone explain to me what the OPTICAL compressor is all about...is it better than a "regular" compressor pedal. Thanks
  2. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    i never tryed one, but people here seem to say its very transparent, so it may reduce dynamics without changing the sound......

im also interested in coments.....

even with the "drive" at max it is not notable?
  3. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I had one for about a week and unloaded it. It was either non-existent or sqaushed my tone. Many folks here swear by them, which is one of the reasons I picked one up.
    I'm sure that some would chalk it up to user error, bit I think that I have decided that I'm simply not a compression type of guy.
  4. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004

when it was at "non-existent" do the leds were on?
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    also, some peoples 'transparent' is other peoples "non-existent"
  6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I've been very happy with mine. I think it is transparent, so you don't notice it so much when you engage it at lower settings at first, but then you notice its absence when you turn it off. The sound is less "full," for lack of a better word. I think that's exactly how it's supposed to work. (It also has a true bypass, so when not engaged it cannot color the sound.)

Also, by taming the peaks, it makes your rig more efficient, and thus makes a small rig seem more powerful. I think it helped me get by at a hard rock show with 320 watts running through a 1x12", for example. I could crank the master, without worrying so much about transients causing power amp clipping or speaker damage. (At least I think that's how it works!) It also adds sustain, which can be helpful for filling out a mix.

At higher settings, you get serious squash, which I don't use but I'm sure some folks do.

I bought it mostly for recording, and it can be useful to even out dynamics. I wasn't sure why it was called the "Punch Factory," but then I could feel the bass in my chest playing back a track through my home stereo. Pretty sweet. (Then again, my Jazz has loads of punch on its own, so YMMV, etc.)
  7. To post a for sale ad you must be a supporting member and do it in the proper forum.

Correct. My apologies...I thought the circumstances were different. Won't happen again.

8. eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I'm totally sold on the Punch Factory. I bought mine about four months ago and now I wouldn't do a gig without it. The built in DI works very well also. Plus you can watch the little L.E.D. thingy turn up your signal. It works great with either active or passive basses and has a switch to change between the two. I find it very easy to use and I will probably buy another for a back up if heaven forbid mine should fizzle out.
  9. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yup. Just like you said! That's a good explanation.
    Oh yeah. I like how my Boss CS-3 works, in that when you turn the amount of compression up or down, the overall volume doesn't change with normal plucking force (..so I assume it's set up so that the threshold stays constant, and this control is actually the input gain). Because of this I can easily adjust the amount of squash from song to song. Let's see - I think I use the most squish on Pink's Get The Party Started (11:30 on-the-knob), and the least on... I dunno; maybe surf-tunes, like Penatration (9:30 or 10:00).

One thing's for-sure: I never turn it OFF!