1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aphex Punch Factory

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Craig_S, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    I just bought this, used/like new from a TBer. I have to say I am really digging this thing! It was super easy to set. I set the volume to unity and the drive at 7, then played a quick slap line. What came out of my ash/rosewood Jazz was a big, warm, tight, snappy, crisp Marcus(esque) tone that I had only come close to, before. The highs on the pops are incredible.

I know the compressor guru, Bongomania, doesn't speak highly of this pedal, but for me, it sounds great. Very nice!

:) :) :)

2. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I have 2. One with each rig. I never had a problem. BIG TIGHT SOUND

G

3. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I had one for years and really liked it. It starts to sound really bad if the battery isn't fresh. here were my thoughts:

good: very subtle, no noise, worked beautifuuly to even out my tone and keep other spiky effects in line (think Qtron). Aphex customer service is very good.

not good: Build quality. jacks are soldered to the pc and not attached to the casing!Mine had the main stomp switch fail but customer service replaced it for free.This comp seems to run out of headroom when using a hot active bass or 5 string.

With a few improvements this comp could have been a monster. It was a little too subtle in the end and I moved on. great place to start though and if you keep it mounted on a pedal board, it will likely last forever.

4. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    For the price I paid, it's fantastic.

I have an old (old) 3630 in my rack that does a good job, too. I'm not sure if it was modified, but it doesn't exhibit any of the negative issues 3630s are known for. It actually sounds really good. The Punch Factory does something slightly different, though. It sounds very different; like the highs are crisper. It's also in a different part of the signal chain, so that is surely part of it. I have the Punch Factory in the chain before the SansAmp and the 3630 is after it. When I get a chance, I'll try the Punch Factory after the SansAmp. I like it where it is, though.

I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron, so I'll be able to repair any mechanical issues that might occur. Thanks for the "heads up", guys.

5. I'm really happy with mine, actually I have 2 of them.
    But as far as customer service, they did not reply my e-mails 2 times, so I won't say they are good...