Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aphex vs. BBE

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The review of the Aphex 204 in the new BassPlayer again has me thinking about exciter/enhancers. I've heard nice things about both the Aphex and BBE devices. I realize these effects are subtle and somewhat similar, but has anyone A/B'd the two? Who uses one or the other?

Ok, I don't know that I actually *need* one, but the quest for tone never ends and I have this hole in my rack, y'know? :)

2. All I know is, I need to put an AURAL EXCITER with BIG BOTTOM in my RACK.

Yeah.

:D

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I have been using The aphex for years and it is part of my live rig.it is one of the best low frequency enhancers around. primarly used in the studio as an aid to compression and vise versa,what it does for me is it takes a 10 inche speaker and adds enough assistance to the speaker response to enhance the bass almost like turning it into a 15 but it will peak to a point not to cause your speakers not to distort or bust It makes a Low F# sound so much clearer and thicker and I use it to get the same results with Low C#.and I have compared it with BBE also a good product but to me not at all as versatile as the Aphex,and the BBE's bass response isn't as clear.

4. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Like spinal tap? :D hahaha

On a related note, a link to this aphex?

5. Fuzzbass

Thank you very much, Jauqo, those are extremely helpful comments!

http://www.aphex.com/204_reviews.htm

Also read the review in the new BassPlayer magazine.

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    You are welcome Fuzzbass.

7. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I now how been wondering about the Aphex vs. BBE thing. My rig is a SWR SM500 with two Aguilar GS112s and I have considered getting the Aphex 204 or the BBE 482 (or maybe the cheaper 362). It appears as though the aphex has more options, plus the Big Bottom, but it is a lot more expensive.
    I also wonder how (or if) either of these would tighten up specific my rig noticably.
    I am also wondering about the Big Bottom and what it does exactly as I play a G&L L2000 which is already a bottom powerful bass. Does it get rid of some of the low end mud and add punch or is that more of the Aural exciter's side of the effect.

Any other thoughts or opitions on these?

Cost can be a factor (BBE 362 about $100, 482 about $200, Aphex about $300). Are the cost differences really justified?

-KB

8. Fuzzbass

Despite very limited experience with the BBE and no experience with the Aphex Big Bottom feature, I went ahead and took a chance on the 204 based on the review in Bass Player and JAUQO's comments above. This was back in early July. After months of use @rehearsal and gigs, I will tell you that the 204 has earned a place in my rack. It gives my SWR Goliath Jr. III 2x10 speakers additional girth from the Big Bottom section, and soft presence from the Exciter section (SWR tweeters can be harsh; I keep them rolled almost all the way back).

If you're already happy with your lows and money is an issue, I would suggest the BBE. But if you are looking for low-end girth and sustain, check out the 204. By using the 204 judiciously, I gain low end while retaining punch... my tone doesn't change, it simply gets "bigger". As far as I'm concerned, it's the finishing touch to my gig rig.

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Anybody ever try the Behringer EX3200 Ultrafex Pro Enhancer? It's 79.00$ I know some of their stuff is sketchy, but I have a compressor of theirs that I'm really happy with, so I'm inclined to chance it.

10. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I've got a slightly older version, the EX3100. I haven't directly compared it to either the Aphex or the BBE. Tho when reading thru the reviews on Harmony Central, many people said it sounded just as good as, and much cheaper than the BBE, and is more versatile. The controls on the the BBE work at fixed frequency's whereas the Behringer can be tweaked to find the sweet spot.

It will stay in my rack for a long time to come, and I never play without it. It gives me more clarity, ounch and presence, without sounding muddy/woolly, and gives me a sound that is hard to belive is eminating from a 1x15 combo. I've also found that since I have so much more presence, I have a lot more headroom. Last practice I only had to turn afore mentioned 250w 1x15 combo up to less than half, to compete with 2 guitarists and Laars Ulrich style drummer. Whereas previously I've had to turn up to 10 (scale of 1-12), and playing at roughly the same volume. So I think I can hold off getting a rack and cab system for a while longer.

11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Thanks, I think I'll check one out.

12. I just picked up a used Aphex Aural Exciter with Big Bottom, 104 C2, off of E-bay for about a hundred bucks. It's quite adjustable and effective. The big bottom would make any reggae bassist drool foam, and the exciter brings out clarity to my upper mids. Coupled with my parametric EQ, I can get a ton of sounds!
    The upgrade to the 204 (list 399$) dosen't make it worth the extra coin. IMHO

13. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I've had a BBE 362 for 6 months now and I just bought an Aphex Aural Exciter type C2 w/ Big Bottom. I'll give it more time, but right now I vote for the BBE -- it sounds cleaner to my ears, just a bit tighter bass response. The Aphex has more knobs, but that is not always a good thing. It is a very close call, and I would pick either one over no enhancer at all. The manufacturers say they use different tech, but the resulting sound is very similar. I will probably use the Aphex in our PA rig.

14. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Does anyone have an opinion as to how the Aphex and BBE products would compare to the Peavey Kosmos?

15. tinfoil

tinfoil

Oct 20, 2002
    Canada
    I am plenty pleased with my BBE. SR 806 into a BOSS CL-50 compressor into a BOSS GT-6B into my BBE (the BBE sounds just a little better after the 6) into my Laney. It's pretty slick and makes my amp sound almost stereo.