Apogee Ensemble Firewire at 200$... worth it!?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by warwickorrior, Mar 8, 2020.

1. warwickorrior

warwickorrior

Feb 9, 2017
    I got a chance to get a silver face Apogee Ensemble at 200$ and am thinking of buying it.

I use Macbook Pro 2012-mid which supports Firewire and did check compatibility with Catalina OS which seems Ok.

I'm not a Pro musician and mainly record bass, guitar and vocals for my local band.

I used Apogee Duet 2 and RME Babyface(not Pro) for recording before and was very satisfied with the result.

I just noticed AE firewire listed at around 200$ in mint condition including cables while I was looking for a new Audio interface under 400$.

I've heard it was one of great gears but never used firewire one. Is it worth buying..?

Jason

2. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    firewire is fading out, you may have problems connecting those to newer computers and likely these devices are not supported by manufacturer anymore. this is the reason you can have a great deal on those.

when I say 'you may have problems' I mean two things: 1. connecting the interface to modern Mac requires investing $100 in adapters. 2. nobody will guarantee that it will continue to work and if it doesn't, nobody will help you, nor Apple, nor Apogee.

this all said, Apogee Ensemble Firewire has quite large latency (like 8ms at 128 samples, that's larger than recent prosumer USB interfaces), so personally I'd skip.

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Get USB, it's here to stay for quite a while.
    A great one is well under $200

4. warwickorrior

warwickorrior

Feb 9, 2017
    Thanks for the advices! I'd better check out USB models... :)