Apollo 13: Real or fake?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ElectroVibe, May 28, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    1. They traveled from the moon to the earth in a craft they could have "poked their finger" through and were careful not to.

2. They had no climate control or protection against the extreme temperature conditions, solar radiation, and the Van Allen Belt radiation. They weren't wearing space suits.

3. The rationed power used was no more than enough to power a kitchen blender.

What do you think based on these facts?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. I think those comments, by themselves neither offer support for or debunk the Apollo missions

OTOH. When something simple does not work, the most common phrase said in frustration, is:
    If they can send a man to the moon, why can't they make a [fill in the blank] that works right.
    It's been what, 45 years since we've been to the moon and people are still using that phrase?
    If going to the moon wasn't still our greatest accomplishment, why would so many people reference that?

Good reading on Apollo 13 is the book, Lost Moon, co-authored by Jim Lovell.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  3. Florinda4

Florinda4 The old man down the road... Supporting Member

I think this would work well as a poll. Be sure to include a nice pic of carrots for the third option, and click it once for me... :)

Pbassmanca and Bob_Ross like this.
  4. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    The video shown on ALL major news media and the moon rocks we brought back are more than enough evidence to prove that we went there.

5. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    Uh.....not fake.

6. Memorial Day seems an odd time to question if Apollo 13, and by extension the entire manned lunar project was real or fake. Three astronauts died in the effort to get us to the moon. All three served in the military and died in service to their country.

Not saying we can't discuss it, but let's remember and respect those who lost their lives in the process, along with all others who served and have passed. Thank you all for your service.

RIP Gus, Ed and Roger.

ak56, biguglyman, Pbassmanca and 14 others like this.
  7. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Many patriotic historians have noted how the nation had lost interest in the space program and that this heroic event was EXACTLY the kind of thing to bring back the nation's pride.

soulman969 and Old Garage-Bander like this.
  8. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    I will use Memorial Day to scream it from the rooftops. Memorial Day is the most appropriate day to question everything related to war, defense, and the unfortunate soldiers and their commanders who are serving our country.

On the other hand, NASA could never have used actors. And it fills so many people with pride. Maybe I'm wrong.

ICM likes this.
  9. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    The real important question is:

Is this thread a troll?

1) The evidence presented lacks sources or at least a background.
    2) There would really be no benefit to faking it. Conspiracy theories do lend themselves to arguments.
    3) The thread is on a music interest site instead of asking it in a place that makes sense--like NASA or StarTalk.
    4) carrots.

10. G-Z

G-Z My other account is a

Apr 13, 2018
    I was very surprised when I watched it on telly. I had no idea Forrest Gump had been an astronaut, too.

I vote not fake.

11. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Oh, it’s real. I saw the film.

12. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    You sound like you don't know anything about it. How dare you call me a "troll". What gives you the right to even comment on a subject that you obviously know little or nothing about?

13. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderators Local A440 Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Under the flight path
    Trolling, trolling, trolling...

Oh look! Another conspiracy-theory thread! What do I think, based on the facts you have presented? I think you have selectively chosen your facts. What you have presented hardly reflects the totality of the evidence, research, knowledge, first-hand accounts, etc.

Even your first fact is kinda weirdly stated. They didn't just travel "from the moon to the earth" in what we regard as such a flimsy craft. They had to get up there somehow... and you recall that this mission didn't land on the moon, right? There were multiple Apollo missions. Some landed, some didn't, this one was supposed to and didn't.

Just... no.

14. I don't think you are wrong on either point.
    I am not opposed to questioning war. I just suggest that we be respectful of those who died fighting so that others could continue to question those wars.

cheapbasslovin and Datsgor like this.
  16. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    This is interesting. Do you have any supporting data about your assertions?

Do you believe that man made it to the moon at all, and just not this particular mission?

17. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Lies. All lies. Tom Hanks isn’t even an astronaut.

18. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Just to clarify: The Apollo 13 mission never made it to the moon surface. It was aborted due to an oxygen-tank explosion in Lunar orbit, with the crew returning in the Lunar Module rather than the Space Module. The Lunar Module was not designed for space flight.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  19. As a kid and I still am a great enthusiast of our space program. I was late for school on every attempted launch of John Glenn's orbital flight. I wasn't going until he was safely off the pad or the launch was scrubbed.
    The loss of life in our space program has touched me deeply.

I recall where I was and what I was doing when I heard about the Apollo 1 fire, just as vividly as I recall those things when I heard about President Kennedy being assassinated. I had also met Bobby Kennedy just a couple of weeks before he was assassinated. This made that event in history much more real for me.

Investigations into the Shuttle Challenger disaster showed that the crew cabin may have remained in one piece and that some of the astronauts might have survived until it crashed into the ocean. When I learned of that, I sat quietly for two minutes and Forty-Five seconds pondering what it must have been like for those poor souls.

When I learned of the missing heat shield tiles on the Shuttle Columbia, I tried to imagine what it must have been like to be on board and know that your chances of surviving re-entry were slim to none. How hard it must have been to be the pilot that initiated the re-entry burn.

We all have our own stories about loss, either personal or on a national scale. We all have our ways of remembering those lost to us. Regardless of the circumstances or the stories, the important thing is that we remember and honor those who have given do much.

Thank you for letting me remember in my own way.
    And thank you to the OP for starting the discussion, however derailed it may have become.
    We now return you to our regularly posted thread.

20. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Thanks.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.