Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

apostle cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hasbeen, Dec 31, 2005.

1. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    aside from the fact that these cabinets look oddly familiar, I was enjoying the thread. What happened to it?

2. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I believe it went down the road of a forbidden topic.

3. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Do they really look like the Genz Benz? Can someone send me a pic, so I can see myself? Finally, does anyone know why it was closed?

Thanks, Mike

4. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I'm not the moderator, but read the 2 previous post and that should give you a good idea. Religion is a No No.

5. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    http://www.apostleenclosures.com/index.html

They resemble Genz-Benz a lot, but there are only so many ways to put speakers in the front of a box. The web site isn't cluttered up with things like specifications.

6. Sorry, but is that a gimick or what . . . christian based manufacturer indeed

<going no further>

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Might one venture that if they posted SPL charts it would be a miracle?

8. brother bean

brother bean

May 23, 2003
    Specs are overrated anyway. Even if they did post them, you would need to know their complete test method to judge the true values of their claims. And test methods seem to be each manufacturers secret recipe. The world would be a happier and more consumer friendly place with a "Standardized Enclosure Rating System". But for now the only way to get the true facts is ask someone that has one or buy one yourself.

9. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    ah..thanks. I didn't know having faith and saying you do was a no-no here. I'll have to make sure to keep the fact that I'm a druid to myself.

Yes, there are only so many ways you can differentiate a box with speakers but then there are "trade dress" type elements:

* They use the exact type of square metal grid speaker grill that we did a couple of years ago.
    * They have the contrasting gray baffle.
    * The "lined up" round ports on the front.

This are what I call "brand identifiers". It doesn't bother me in the slightest I just find it interesting.

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    It's not that at all - it's when people start *arguing* about religion that things get closed down.

11. brother bean

brother bean

May 23, 2003
    If you look at the product pics you will see that the apostles have a natural wood baffle. The pics on the home page seem to be b/w. And they are using vinyl instead of rat fur... I mean carpet. And the GBs use a segmented baffle with the drivers in the top segment and the ports in the bottom. You people need to do your homework before you start throwing stones.

12. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    noted and very good- there is too much nastiness in general on forums. I think debate is wonderful where as nastiness is uncalled for.
    The difference between arguing and debate well, that's where you come in which I respect.

13. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Just to clarify, I'm not a mod in Amps - I'm in Basses. Out here, I'm just part of the problem! ;)

14. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I personally find it an interesting angle to take, and they are well within their rights to do it. I did notice the Genz-Benz similarity, but also, sunn cabinets used to look that way as well.

I'd have to try one before I bought it, just like any other piece of gear, but I tend to get most of my stuff second hand.

15. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    nobody is throwing stones. Also, trade dress is just that....cosmetics. So just as an fyi, I'm not talking construction. I don't think it is a homework issue. All based on looks- if it looks similar where people assume WITHOUT noticing the different design elements and without doing their homework, well, that is exactly why trade dress parameters exist.

16. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Do you have any pics of those GB cans that these cabs look similar to?

17. brother bean

brother bean

May 23, 2003
    Anybody know if they have a distributor or are they just direct sale? It would be interesting to hear there sound, but like like all the rest of the musicians in the world I am picky about my gear.

18. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Only direct. I posted my review in the last thread.