1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

App (software?) for Band Management?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by lilcrate, Jun 9, 2014.

1. lilcrate

lilcrate Tortdaddy

Sep 9, 2013
    St. Louis
    I am sure there is something that will work great for what I'm envisioning, but I can't seem to narrow it down. I would like something that is highly interactive, easy to use, and preferably available in an app. I would like it to have the ability to discuss/post, upload/edit documents/files (mp3s would be awesome, but not getting my hopes up on that), and have a shared interactive calendar (this could be a document if that is all I can get to work). Oh, and free or at least very low cost.

Facebook group - Tried it out. Not bad, may be the answer. Not an interactive calendar, but there are events, file uploads (no mp3s, but we can share youtube videos), easy to use and interactive, great discussion forum, etc. One major issue I have with it is I can't seem to add people that aren't my friends on Facebook. I'm not really sure I want to add my band members to my personal Facebook page. I guess that might sound weird, but I really haven't known them long and don't really associate with them beyond the band.

Google Docs - Heard this might work. Checked it out and I don't see it being of much use on the app I have on my phone. Not a lot going on there. No interactive calendar, didn't see any discussion forum, didn't seem entirely user friendly, etc.

Where's the Gig - tried this. This is actually really nice on the website version, but the app just links to the mobile site and the mobile site is VERY limited. It isn't very interactive either.

I tried some other apps but they were not much worth mentioning.

I searched for group apps, band management apps, project management apps, social apps, etc for hours. I'm not seeing much. I also searched on a here and saw a couple things, but nothing seemed to be on the level of what I want. Anybody use anything? There has to be something perfect for it right?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  2. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Google Calendar and Google Drive do much of what you want.

3. hhirbe

hhirbe

Mar 30, 2012
    Athens, Ohio
    I run a 70 employee restaurant and bar, and have found the google chrome system work for most of our needs. I can definitely recommend checking this out for use in a smaller band setting. Many options for share and input from any number of angles.

4. lilcrate

lilcrate Tortdaddy

Sep 9, 2013
    St. Louis
    Discussions? Have to use two apps or is there a way to tie them together? Having two different apps would not be ideal.

I'm not quite sure what that is. You mean Google calendar and drive or is there something else?

5. hhirbe

hhirbe

Mar 30, 2012
    Athens, Ohio
    While I am not the one who set up the system (my IT guy did it), we migrated from open source to the google cloud which include the drive (document sharing), docs and calender (document creation and population), as well as email. Again, as a user and not the guy who set it up, it has totally streamlined the way we share and edit information electronically.

lilcrate likes this.
  6. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    If you have a Google mail account, you can share calendars, use Drive to share docs and email as normal. At least, that's how it's done for my "work" email.

Despite this, like you I was thinking a band management app would be cool... Lots of possibilities.

lilcrate likes this.
  7. lilcrate

lilcrate Tortdaddy

Sep 9, 2013
    St. Louis
    Great. So it sounds like there is a way to tie it all together I was missing. I will look into it. I hope these guys can handle something like that. They are not exactly tech savvy. Ease of use is very important.

I am seriously blown away there is not a great app for this. It would be great to have a well-developed one that includes everything and even pushes notifications to the phone.

8. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Totally - i even made a load of notes on ideas for something like this! Errr it was a quiet day at work... :ninja:

9. Brelic

Brelic

Jun 26, 2011
    East Coast, Canada
    My first thought was some sort of open CMS (content management system). I did a quick google search and found a few that might suit your purposes, but Four Four seems to be the easiest to set up.

http://www.fourfour.com/features/content

Other solutions, like others have said, would be Google Docs/Calendar and shared folders on Google Drive.

lilcrate likes this.
  10. lilcrate

lilcrate Tortdaddy

Sep 9, 2013
    St. Louis
    This looks awesome, although I don't see an app available for it. I'm going to check it out though. Actually, this seems to be more for fans and sharing/communicating with the public.

I messed around with the Google thing some more. It just doesn't seem streamlined and easy to use enough. I also am not seeing any discussion sections.

So far, to me, Facebook seems to the best option. Just sucks having to be friends with them just to add them to the group. Sad that Facebook is seeming like the best option.

11. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    1. Gmail
    2. Google Hangouts
    3. Chats within Google Drive documents

12. lilcrate

lilcrate Tortdaddy

Sep 9, 2013
    St. Louis
    These are 3 separate apps?

1. I don't think Gmail is ideal. I don't see anything in Gmail that provides any aspect I need, other than "chat", which seems to just be group emails.
    2. Hangouts doesn't provide much of my needs other than chat.
    3. I don't see chats within Google Drive documents. All I see is the ability to comment on a document. That obviously wouldn't be ideal.

Am I missing the overall picture of Google here? It seems very broken up and not ideal. I'm by far the most tech savvy out of the band so if it doesn't seem streamlined enough to me, it will be hell getting everyone else on the same page using it. Unless I'm missing some special app that ties it all together or something, IDK.

13. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    The trick is that all if these apps talk to each other. You can invite people to events via gmail. You can attach files in emails directly from your drive. You can have a shared calendar for the band that appears next to your personal calendar and even other band mates calendars for ease of booking. Gmail responses are sent inline now similar to texts. And they all send optional push notifications.

Am I missing anything?

14. randyripoff

randyripoff

Jul 12, 2008
    Chicago
    I think Google tools can work for you, but it won't be a one-app thing. The good thing is that you won't have to sign in and out of different accounts to use the various applications, and it really sounds like you're looking for a one app does everything solution.

15. hhirbe

hhirbe

Mar 30, 2012
    Athens, Ohio
    I am by no means tech savvy. I can manuever through windows os software and the like, but that's about my limit. The idea behind the google system is the creation of groups (band members), and when you 'share' a document with the group, you can choose from options to let them edit, comment, or simply view that piece. From my position in my restaurant, I can create a document or update the calender/schedule, share it to be edited by other management, commented on by assistants, viewed by all employees, etc.
    Not sure if its exactly what you want and uncertain of mobile adaptation, just trying to ballpark the idea.

16. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Hangouts is part of Google+. You can use it for online chats, audio calls, and video conferences. If you're using it on a computer, you can share screens, documents, photos, and all sorts of stuff during video calls. It integrates with Google Calendar for events. There is more info here: http://www.google.com/ /learnmore/hangouts/

In my band, for example, we've used Google Hangouts to have video conferences among four people to discuss our website development project. We have used Google Hangouts in conjunction with a Google Drive document to review and comment on a proposal from a web developer, with all four participants being able to review and edit the document simultaneously during a video call.

I also do all of our set lists in a Google spreadsheet. Sometimes when I'm putting the list together, I have an online chat within the Google spreadsheet with the other guy who runs the band with me.

In general, Google+ can do much of what FB can do, and bunch of things that FB can't (like multiparty video calls). The disadvantage of Google+ compared to FB is that it does not have nearly as much of a market share, so it is not as ubiquitous as FB, but in your situation, that sounds like it might not necessarily be a disadvantage.

17. lilcrate

lilcrate Tortdaddy

Sep 9, 2013
    St. Louis
    Yeah, I'm messing with it a little now. I now see how it all talks to each other, but still a ton of apps. So, especially for the iPhone users, I have to have them download multiple apps, setup a new Gmail account, etc. I guess only using Google Drive would be the simplest bet, but then there isn't an actual chat/discussion forum, way to share youtube videos (at least from what I can tell, etc). It seems like things are going to get lost in the mix. It is absolutely a possibility I guess, but to me it seems like Facebook groups is blowing it out of the water as far as ease of use.

Hmm, I've never used Google+. Maybe that is the answer to bringing everything together. I will mess around in there and see what I can do. I guess to access archived files they will still all have to create a Gmail account, download Google+, download Google Drive, and whatever else though right?

18. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    Have a YouTube app? Cause you can share playlists

Edit:
    YouTube is also part of the Google network.

19. lilcrate

lilcrate Tortdaddy

Sep 9, 2013
    St. Louis
    Yes I do.

20. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

Apr 15, 2013
    iFire

autmatically emails and angrily fires everybody on your contact list