Appalachian Waltz/Journey?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by dancehallclasher, Jun 29, 2001.

1. hey guys, who's listened to these two albums? i've heard edgar meyer playing the cello suites, which was very nice, and yo-yo ma is of course the man, so i downloaded the track 'hard times come again no more' from appalachian journey i believe, and i loved it. so which one of these albums should i buy, any opinions?
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Get one, get the other; they're pretty much interchangeable. If you want to hear Meyer playing "Zigeurneweisen" and a lot of eerie-sounding bluegrass with Bela Fleck and Mike Marshall, get "Uncommon Ritual" as well. They're all on Sony.
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The second one, being a sequel to a hot selling album, does make some commercial moves. Like the two tracks with James Taylor singing (I can live without them) one with Alison Krauss singing (I would buy a CD of her singing the phone book, but maybe you wouldn't). The quality of both CDs is quite high so I'd say go for "Waltz" if you hate vocals :)

The other Meyer CDs "Uncommon Ritual" and "Short Trip Home" are also very good. "Ritual" has Bela Fleck so skip it if you are allergic to banjos, but it's the most adventurous of the 4 muscially. "Short" has Joshua Bell on violin, and the last 1/3 is duets with Bell and Meyer so skip if allergic to modern classical music.
  4. An old thread - resurrected! I rented "Appalachian Journey" this weekend, and although the playing was excellent, the music was good for the most part, although some of it never really got into the groove. The jigs & reels just didn't have the sparkle I would have expected.

My biggest gripe with this DVD is the editing! Lots of cuts/fades/wipes/dissolves totally unrelated to what is happening in the music - no shot longer than 2 seconds!! Uggggghhh! I ended up turning the TV off, and just listening to the music. The playing is great, and most of the music, especially the modern pieces, is excellent!

- Wil