Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Apparently "BTB" stands for...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ian Perge, Oct 12, 2002.

1. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Bogus Tobias Bass. ;) Take a look at the auction here and tell me people won't be that gullible when dropping $1200 on an instrument.

2. I've said it before and I'll say it again. People are stupid.

What an interesting walnut top though. ;)

3. Well, a BTB1005 does go for about $1200, so it's not like there's any overcharging being done. It does contain faulty info though, ad it's obviously not a Tobias. I figure that if anyone knows enough about bass to justify spending $1200 on one, then they're probably gonna know that this is a scam of some sort.

4. It certainly bears a strong resemblance to my IBANEZ BTB405. At least, I didn't think I bought a Tobias, Hmmmmmm. I'd rather believe that this is a miscommunication or misunderstanding of some sort and not a deception. Anyway, I believe that those who are looking for that caliber of bass will see the error.

5. when there's a picture of a bass with a flame maple top, and what he's advertising is a walnut top, it think there's somethin up...

6. Yes, that is faulty info in the E-Bay listing and someone does not know their bass. The same photo is shown on the Ibanez website and the body is described as flamed maple top, mahogany middle, maple back. I'm not prepared to say if the listing is a deception or misunderstanding. I believe there should be a correction though.

7. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Thats an Ibanez BTB Special.

It has active pre and barts. That thing retails at 1200, and it is a damned nice guitar too :D

8. The Ibanez BTB1005 is a fine intrument. I think the concern is that the listing refers to this bass as a "Tobias" and that it has a "walnut" body. Just raises questions for some of the folks as mentioned earlier in this thread.

9. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    The price is right but the product isn't. This guy isn't very good at ripping people off. You are supposed to make a profit when you rip someone off.

Even if i was looking for a BTB1005 at that price I wouldn't give him the satisfaction of thinking he ripped me off.

10. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
  11. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    can this guy get one auction right?

12. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Just to clarify a few points that I didn't post the first time around.

I have no problem with either Ibanez (I own two higher-end SR's) or the BTB line specifically, which I think is a major upswing for Ibanez in the bass community and some very nice basses for the money (the high-end ones in particular).

What I do have a problem with is someone name-dropping Michael Tobias and his well-known stature in the bass community to inflate the price of a sale for bidders that don't know better. bassman1185 is right - around $1200 is the list price for the BTB 1005 - however, that was the opening price on the auction. I believe that the name factor alone would have pushed up the bidding price to a inflated level for that particular model.

Add to this the problem with the Gibson auction... I smell a scam. :mad: