1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Apparently I'm running a drug ring

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jarnett, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Jarnett

Jarnett

Dec 17, 2011
    Adrian Michigan
    My friends and I had a space that we rented for practice and a half decent studio in our small home town in Michigan. We played kind of loud, but it wasn't a residential area and never had a complaint as far as volume or type of music. Well we recently got kicked out of the space, the landlord said that "we had been running a drug ring" out of the space. He drew this conclusion from seeing a really nice car with Illinois plates parked outside the space. A friend of ours had rented a Toyota Camery because he had recently wrecked his car. Keep in mind that most of us are former United States Marines. Is this stupid or what?

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Does a Toyota Camry really constitute a "really nice" car in Michigan? :confused:

3. I dunno. Running a drug ring out of a rehearsal space sounds like a fine idea. What y'all sellin'?

;)

4. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    I never cease to be amazed at the way people can jump to conclusions.

5. Wow. That must be the most ignorant conclusion I've heard in some time. Were you guys burning herb outside or anything?

6. :D Times must be tough...

7. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I thought that in Michigan a Toyota was considered a evil POS.

8. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Haha sounds like he needed an excuse to kick you out of the space so he could start up his OWN drug ring!

9. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    You CAN take legal action for unlawful eviction,slander,and deformation of character. Not that you'd probably want that space back,but being from a small Michigan town myself,I know rumors spread like wildfire. At the very least,I'd drag his arse through the public mud. I'd be damned if I spent years of my life in the service,putting my ass on the line so some civvy @$$wipe can throw me or mine to the curb,slinging allegations like that at me in MY hometown..

10. ...Bogus!

Hang in there! Semper Fi Brotha!

11. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    It is

12. Maybe he threw y'all out for having a Toyota parked there??

Peace,
    Greg

13. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Maybe he only buys american?

14. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Thats probably the real reason they were kicked out.

I dunno, but it sounds likely to be against renter's rights to kick someone out for running a drug ring without any evidence. Im sure the police would have to get involved and such... something here isnt adding up.

15. Camry is built in Georgetown, KY. Maybe he should have rented a Canadian or Mexican made Dodge?

16. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You CAN, if you have the money to throw at lawyers for no major return. That's how people get away with so much **** - what they're doing may be illegal, but the time and expense needed to make them pay for it puts it in the "not worth it" bin pretty soon.

We were renting our old house in Indiana to a woman who got her rent from Section 8 (federal assistance). She trashed the place so bad it failed inspection - thousands of dollars of damage and cleanup against a $600 security deposit. Section 8 sent a series of letters, each with a different deadline date for when the house needed to pass inspection by before they would cut off payments. The final letter gave a date of 12/31/2011. The woman moved out at the end of February of 2011. Section 8 refused to cover the February rent, on the grounds that the house had failed inspection, when THEIR OWN LETTERS with the signature of the PERSON I WAS TALKING TO ON THE PHONE said we had until December. So I called a lawyer and asked what I could do. His answer - to recover a $600 rent? Nothing. You'll spend more than that on legal fees.

17. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    renter's rights are established by state mandate. Even then the idea of rights is not what some people want to think it is. Even in California (the worst state for landloards) it is not a matter of civil rights, and the local law enforcement will not intervene, and in most cases will not even give it an incident report number, unless there was some form of altercation

The idea of renter's rights does noting but set a precedent for civil liability. Even then, the burden of proof is upon the renter, and in most cases the judge will ask the renter "IF you are not getting along with the landloard, why would you want to continue staying there?" If the renter cannot answer that, judgment is for the landloard
    I do not know about Michigan, but in CA, renters rights really only applies to habitations

Just as a side note... because of abuse of medical marijuana laws, and rentals being used for marijuana cultivation, there is a proposal to review and modify CA's renters rights

18. Get it in writing from the landlord as to why the eviction, if it states in writing what you are saying (drug ring), then you could have a healthy lawsuit with this clown. Was this the only reason given? Bummer as really good practice spots are hard to come by

19. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

It's not worth hassling. Just move on.

20. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    He just doesn't want a band there.