1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Apparently Lake Placid Blue is Fender's rarest color.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sonicvi, Sep 30, 2008.

1. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
  2. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    The other problem is he says it's 22 1/2" scale length. It's really 30".

Although, he does say it's Blue in the auction. He still has quite a bit of misinformation going on in the auction.

3. xparis001

xparis001 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Providence, RI
    Senior Product Manager, Akai Professional
    hehe. I read that as "Lake Placid Blue is a Racist Color". I was expecting a pic of grover yelling "Muppet power!"

4. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, the Mustang guitar is 22 1/2".

5. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    Actually, the Mustang guitar was available with 2 different scale lengths, a 22.5" and a 24". The 24" was more popular.

It's amazing how much misinformation is in his auction listing. First he says it's green, then it's blue faded to green, then it's green again. Ok, technically, the bass is green now, but when it was made, it was made with a blue color. The lacquer clearcoat has since yellowed to make it look green.

Also according to his auction I can deduce that quite a few hens must have teeth, because if LPB is as rare as hen's teeth, then many hens have teeth.

6. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Right, yellowed Lake Placid Blue is still Lake Placid Blue.

7. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    It's obvious to see the real color under where the pickguard was.

8. Looks like he did an update to the auction info. Kudos to him then.

9. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    He updated with more incorrect info.

10. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    He was just misinformed. He corrected himself and apologised for the wrong information. Seems like an alright guy to me.

11. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    From the auction:

"On Sep-30-08 at 05:11:40 PDT, seller added the following information:

I TRY TO DO MY RESEARCH ON VINTAGE BASSES BEFORE LISTING THEM FOR SALE. IN THIS CASE I HAVE RECEIVED NEW INFORMATIO FROM ANOTHER EBAY MEMBER THAT I BELIEVE IS CREDIBLE BASED ON HIS EMAILS TO ME AND MY REVIEW OF HIS PROFILE AND FEEDBACK WHICH INDICATES HE IS A BUYER AND SELLER OF HIGH-END VINTAGE BASS GUITARS. THE INFORMATION HE PROVIDED ME AFTER SEEING MY LISITING WAS:

"THIS IS A COMPETITION BLUE AND WAS ONLY AVAILABLE ON MUSTANG GUITARS AND BASSES. SURF GREEN IS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT COLOR THAT WAS NOT AVAILABLE ON MUSTANGS.THIS BASS'S COLOR IS PASTEL, LIGHT GREEN AND IS RARE AS HEN'S TEETH."

MY APOLOGIES FOR MY ORIGINAL INFORMATION. I AM CORRECT THAT THE COLOR IS RARE AND CAUSED BY THE PROBLEM WITH THE FENDER PAINT- I JUST HAD THE WRONG COLOR."

12. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    It's a good effort, but the updated info is still incorrect. The color is Lake Placid Blue and is not rare.

13. :meh: So, yellowing w/age is rare...:rollno:

14. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    Is "competition blue" darker? Out of curiosity, how can you tell which color blue it is?

15. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    The "competition" prefix simply refers to the presence of a stripe on the elbow contour. The bass is lake placid blue.

16. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    Ah. Thank you. I have a new wrinkle in my brain. :)

It's possible the seller doesn't know that information, either. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see it mentioned anywhere.

17. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    The information is in fact correct, despite actually being Lake Placid Blue, the colour was marketed as "competition blue" because of the light blue stripes.

18. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Don't care about what finish it is by name, I just know that bass is friggin sweet looking.

19. agreed

20. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    Do you know where Wikipedia get's it's information? They get it from the general public. People submit info to them.

The fact that they say that the yellowing has resulted in rare colors is completely wrong. How is it wrong you may ask. I'll tell you. What is defined as a rare color in the collector world is a custom color that wasn't used that much by the manufacturer, or a color that didn't usually appear on a certain model, and this is refering to the original color. It doesn't mean a color that has faded over time or had the clearcoat yellow and change the color. It resulted in a different color, but it was still blue, which wasn't that rare.

Besides, this happens to all lake placid blue basses when the lacquer yellows.

Now, I won't deny that Competition colored Mustangs are not rare, they are because they were made for a short period of time