1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

apparently string packaging is PURE SCIENCE

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jsingles, Mar 11, 2008.

1. "The new bag employs a plastic containing a gas-neutralizing barrier in the polymer matrix"

D'addario's description of the new packaging they use for their strings.

................rofl :rolleyes:

of all the string marketing bull crap, that is the funniest thus far I have ever read.

THESE STRINGS NEUTRALIZE THE BARRIER IN THE POLYMER MATRIX CAUSING A FUSION REACTION OPENING A WORM HOLE THROUGH TIME TO GIVE YOUR AUDIENCE THE THRILL OF A THOUSAND LIFETIMES!!;)

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    In other words, these string won't degrade at the mom and pops shops that sell 3 packs a year as quick.

3. its like 3 long paragraphs all bout the packaging.. which is seriously just plastic

4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    speaking from a product development standpoint, plastic packaging makes all the difference. part of my job at a consumer goods company here in boston was qualifying the plastics used in the packaging materials for our products. thrilling work let me tell you, but it really does make a difference, especially when your vendors change their specs and it has a negative impact on your product.

in this case, they've made the plastic with a chemical that resists the flow of oxygen to prevent corrosion when they sit on shelves forever.

5. hah ok i guess its helpful but i was just amazed that a pack of strings said TONS about the plastic and NOTHING about the strings inside.

6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    well the product hasn't changed, they gotta try to make something exciting about it. like you said, its all marketing.

7. hah it just struck me as hilarious how they cannot just say

"we use a new plastic that prevents the flow of air and makes our product last longer!"

ranting on and On about the polymer matrix wont make sense to most people.

8. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    The techie angle sells product

9. Yup, wowing them with your "scientific" prowess helps sell.

10. well packaging IS a crucial aspect if you are selling strings all over the world....

11. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    And after it protects your strings indefinitely it will sit in the landfill indefinitely.

12. The Polymer Matrix. Someone needs to use that as a band name. :cool:

13. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Couldn't they have just put a naked chick on the package like everybody else? Or maybe get a celebrity to endorse said type of plastic? Like, say... oh, Paris Hilton?

14. haha +1 on previous 2 comments

15. Are any of you old enough to remember NASHVILLE STRAIGHTS?

16. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Man, we've got a shop here that STILL HAS a rack full of those strings! They have to be about 30 years old....nasty lookin'!

17. haha wow. maybe somebody will want that dead string sound

18. rufus mangler

rufus mangler

Oct 10, 2007
    The hi tech bag I got last week had buffing compound in it with my Chromes. I had them on and was stretching them before I realized my fingers were getting dirty.

Guess I should have checked them beforehand. I read about this in TB. Now I've got brand new strings in the cleaning tube.

19. Lucas G

Lucas G

Jan 14, 2007
    masury, OH
    what is this 'cleaning tube' you speak of?

20. p-nut95

p-nut95

May 27, 2007
    Philadelphia
    lmao thats funny "opening a worm hole through time" lol