Applause AE-40 ABG?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Aug 9, 2000.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I just ran across one of these used at a local store, and I'm intrigued. The volume is fine (I didn't plug in), and the tone is great. That, and it's short scale, which I prefer. Anybody have any comments about these? It seemed well made - not as pretty as the Ovations, but, hey, for the price...
  2. I have one that i bought 6 years ago that i'm selling on eBay as we speak cuz i recently bought a different ABG. I like my Applause alot. It does have great unplugged volume and tone due to the deep bowl back. I don't like to play it standing up cuz i can't get comforable with said back. I played it alot around the house to learn songs on. Plays great. The electronics in it are nothing to write home about, but it can sound fine plugged in with some tweaking. Overall are great bass for the $ i think. Trent
  3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I owned a fretless AE40 a while back and it sounded absolutely wonderful with the Thomastik acoustic bass strings, the ones with the nylon cores that come on Rick Turner's Ren. With no onboard preamp, it needs an external preamp that will buffer the piezo output in order to get a decent, smooth sound when amplified. There is an explanation on matching at the bottom of my Preamps page at

I'm not advocating that you have to buy a K&K; a Fishman Model B, LR Baggs, SansAmp Bass DI, Sadowsky (though I think you'd want a treble cut control available), etc., will do.

I regret selling mine, though I really love the bass I replaced it with: