Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Apple AirPort, anybody?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by j-raj, Aug 22, 2005.

1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I know that I'm a little late on getting on this 'wireless' kick (1st the palm pilot, then the mouse...), but I finally hooked up my AirPort that I have had for a few weeks before NAMM... This frigg'n rocks!

Anybody else have one?

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I don't have one, yet....

Gotta admit, Apple had another great idea with this one.

3. It's a wireless access point, right?

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    yeah - a print server, a network out and audio out!!!! :D

i should really get one....

5. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    audio too? cool, I didn't know that yet.

thx!

6. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I'm on AirPort right now. Have been using it for about two years here at home. I also use the wireless whenever I am traveling.

BTW: It's only the AirPort Express that has audio out (I think).

7. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Audio out? Shoot I might have to get one now! That could potentially be pretty sweet.

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    ooppppssss! I thought we were talking about the Express...sorry... :D

9. J-RAJ, we have airport here at work (I'm a middle school assistant principal) and I use it all of the time.

Yeah, the airport extreme is cool. AirTunes will actually plug into your home theater system, and iTunes will broadcast to your home theater system. The cool part is that you can set it to only broadcast, and not play on your computer while it is broadcasting. You can also control it with BlueTooth. You can be sitting on your couch and change the songs in iTunes on your computer at the other end of the house. Very cool!

10. I've had an Airport Express for over a year now and use it in a multitude of ways. BTW, only the express has audio out.

Like previous posters said, you can hook it up to your home stereo and broadcast your music library wirelessly to your stereo. AND, if you have an additional internet point, you can broadcast internet radio to your stereo as well.

When we play gigs, I take my Express to the show and DJ our breaks via my iBook. I hook the Express to the mixing board and play break music from a pre selected list of tunes.

When you're on the road, you can take your Express with you and make your hotel room a wireless hotspot rather than being tethered to a crappy work desk.

Oh, and wireless printing is pretty cool too!!

John :hyper:

11. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    fill me in... what's the difference?

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The Express is a smaller unit, looks kind of like a wall wart. It's cheaper than the flying saucer shaped Airport base stations but it lacks a few features.

I just wish they were cheaper, I paid about $200 for my Airport base station 2 years ago...similar units from Netgear, Linksys, etc. can be bought at Best Buy for $50!! Sadly those other brands have poor Mac support and are harder to set up, but many Mac owners use them OK.

Here's the Airport Express:
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...DgQXx/1.0.0.11.1.0.6.9.9.17.0.1.0.1.1.0.1.0.3

Here's the Airport Extreme base station:
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...DgQXx/1.0.0.11.1.0.6.9.9.17.0.1.0.1.1.1.1.0.3

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Well, I don't have a mac but I have been on the wireless kick at home for a while. I use a wireless network in addition to the wired one to connect my wife's PC, a notebook and what really boils down to a server for my mp3 collection.

14. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Thanx Brian...

I ended up getting this Extreme from my Dad, who was given a completely new set up through work... so it didn't cost anything.... except for Apple Assistance, cause I didn't extend my Apple-Care.