Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Apple buys Emagic

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by JMX, Jul 1, 2002.

1. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I just read on a German computer news site that Apple bought German software company Emagic.
    The bad news is that as a result the offering of the PC version of their audio sequencer software Logic will end on september 30th 2002.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2002/jul/01emagic.html

Thank God I'm a Steinberg user, but I fear this will have negative effects on the audio software market.

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I fear that their attempts to get Logic users to convert to Mac will fail miserably. And by that, losing 35% of their income will surely hurt.

NOW what will happen to Samplitude, the program I just recently fell in love with???

3. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yeah, I've been asking that myself too.
    Apple = Gibson?

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    There is no good in this world.

Microsoft = evil.
    Apple = evil.

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Thank you, Apple, for taking the computer recording world a nice big step backward. I bought Logic precisely because unlike, say Cakewalk or Pro Tools, it was a dual-platform product. I have a friend with a Mac Logic setup, and we have exchanged files--not perfectly, but workably.

And they call Microsoft the Evil Empire ... :mad:

6. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Thank God I'm a Steinberg user, I considered Logic but stepped back after seeing Nuendo and Cubase SX.

But the Steinberg - Emagic competition was a good thing that drove companies and products forward.

Now Steinberg is the only one left.

My feeling is that Apple sees that they're loosing their multimedia advantage with the release of Windows XP and the problems of MacOS and they want to force the Logic users into buying a Mac.

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Linux = Good!! Damn it Steinberg! Nuendo for Linux!!! Please!!!

8. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Mmm... I like the sound of that.

9. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yeah, ASIO for Unix/Linux would be cool.
    Unix is nice, but without low-latency audio drivers it's totally worthless for DAWs.

10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    True....hear that Midiman/M-Audio?!?

11. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Looks like Samplitude will survive anyway... I read from a first-hand source that no part of it is owned by neither Apple nor Emagic, Emagic only was a distribution partner. That cooperation probably won't continue, but the development of the software will.

Good for me. :)

12. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  13. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    And I looked all over the web for those words. Who would have thought it would appear on the official webpage? Duh. mE zMaRt :rolleyes:

14. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001