1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Apple Customer Service Vs Windows Customer Service

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bass_Thumper, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    Hey all, I just want to know what your experiences have been with Apple customer service when you've had problems as compared to experiences with Windows customer service.

I just had what I consider to be a bad experience with Windows. Here's the scenario:
    1. I have a copy of windows 7 and all the goodies that come with it that came installed on the laptop when I bought it.
    2. My Windows Media Player had some serious issues and I had to uninstall it to make the rest of my computer run properly.
    3. I went to the Microsoft download site to get another copy of WMP, and there is a validation app that needs to be installed so they can validate my copy of Windows. No big deal except the version of the validation app is no longer supported so I can't get the code to enter so that I can download WMP. I search around trying to find a current version of the validation app with no luck.
    4. I start a web chat where they keep sending me version of WMP that are not compatible with Windows 7. When I bring this up, they give me a telephone number and disconnect the chat.
    5. I call the number and they basically tell me that they won't help me unless I purchase a plan. So no help.

Sooo. Is Apple any better than this? Since I've always played by the rules when it comes to computers, no cracked programs, always legit; this is a bit upsetting to get no help when it was their product that was causing the problem in the first place. I'm a long time windows user and have not been overly impressed with either my iPhone or iPad but I don't like feeling like I've been sold something with no support what-so-ever and may be ready switch, but I won't if they play the same game.

Thoughts?

2. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Apple folk are arrogant. Last time I spoke with someone, the support person asked me if I knew anything about India. I said a little, and then he arrogantly asked if I even knew who Sneha was. I told him that I knew it was a popular female actress from India but that was not what the name in my email address represented. Then I asked him if he knew the Indian food restaurant Sneha in Sunnyvale a few miles away from Apple headquarters. He had no idea. I then told him that he shouldn't assume to know everything and that he could use some manners. The link he gave me to grade my experience was dead. Way to go Apple. YMMV.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I've had that kind of experience with many different vendors. When I get someone like that, I just end the chat session/phone call, then start a new one and hope for a more qualified person on the other end.

-Mike

4. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    That may be the route that I have to take. This laptop is only 2 years old and I know they're made to throw away these days but it should last at least 3 years before the hardware/software totally collapses I'm thinking.

The thing that really got me was that they know the link to the validation program is not supported and they won't direct me to a newer version to use. I'm thinking that they don't like that I haven't upgraded to 8 yet and this is one of their ways of pushing us all in that direction.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    What version of WMP do you want/need?

-Mike

6. you're gonna have experiences like that with any company. please, for the love of god, don't turn this into another apple vs windows thread.

7. surgay

surgay Banned

Sep 27, 2013
    The only GOOD phone or online support I've ever experienced is from XBOX. Or my son-in-law. :meh: I would post his number, but I enjoy visiting with them and my grandsons. :bag: Sorry!

8. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    I love it when people jump to conclusions due to the lack of having all the information. I'm not a hater of either MAC or PC as I have to use both for work. I'm just delivering my experience with Apple customer support, and I never contributed to whatever war went on between MAC and PC folk's. To me it's pointless. There are pro's and con's to everything. I like whatever runs the software I must use best.

9. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    No worries from me, I have both Microsoft and Apple products although I've never used an Apple laptop so I don't have any experience with using their customer service in that regard.

I can certainly understand it when you can't get service from a company due to an odd request or I'd broken something due to misuse but in this case, they seem to have a system in place to help folks that have paid for the product to download it again, only you can't actually perform the download due to them having outdated programs that are needed to complete the action. And when you call them, they won't talk to you until you've paid them. That to me is a bad deal and I guess I'm just trying to see if Apple also does this. They could both be guilty of this as far as I know.

10. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    Just version 12.

11. Download VLC and forget about WMP.

lowsound

12. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    I'll check that out. Thanks.

13. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
  14. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    That's the tool that's giving me trouble and started the web chat/phone calls. I download the file and when I run it I get the following message

"This version of the Windows Genuine Advantage validation tool is no longer supported. Please download the newest version and ensure that your system clock is accurate."

I was expecting them to point me to another version of this validation tool but they never did.

15. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
  16. Eep. I have an original iPad, inherited from my Dad. The screen on it is cracked. Luckily I had one of those 'screen protector' sheets on it, so the device still works. Went to the Apple store a few years ago to see if they could replace the screen; I was willing to pay for the repairs. Apple guy told me nope, I would have to buy a new iPad. Now, I had talked to someone at the shop I work at who was visiting from another state, who worked on computers, and said he'd replaced the screens on several iPads, and the new screens ran around $50 at the time, so I knew this was a lie. They can replace the d****d screens. Just Apple trying to make more money; and they'd probably charge me even more to get the stuff on the iPad1 synced / transferred across to the new iPad. Now Windows customer service - is there such a thing? Really? The attitude on the part of too many of the folks who work for both seems to be 'it's broke? Buy a new computer/tablet!' Sigh

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I have an iPad1 also. I took it into an Apple store a few weeks ago, and the salesperson I talked to about it treated me like I was carrying a bomb.

-Mike

18. This. Super easy, super fast. Been using VLC for years without hardly a single problem.

19. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    Looks like it doesn't like me using Firefox. Good to know and thanks a lot for your help.

20. FF Petro

FF Petro

Feb 16, 2004
    ATL
    Lady Kayri, in my experience with Apple their standard procedure for fixing their computers is to replace everything down to the chassis. I would suspect them to do the same with their tablets.