Apple: Intel Inside

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mon Rominee, Jun 7, 2005.

1. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    As long as they don't change the OS, I don't care. I don't know whats inside and I don't care. I just want my Mac to continue to look and work like a Mac.

Ignorance is bliss.
  2. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    +1 I've been a Mac user since '85, and as long as it works and feels like a Mac, I'll continue to be a Mac user. Remember a similar hubbub when they dumped Motorola and went to IBM chips? Hey, if it keeps new products coming out and prices competitive, then more power to the Apple-Intel alliance!
  3. Exactumally.

If this means I can get a dual G5 under 1400 bucks, Ima happy boy. ;)
  4. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    I've known about this for a long time. They've been keeping a PC-processor compatible version of the OS in parallel development for years now.

Once, they had a small pilot beta program, where testers (who had agreed not to look inside) were sent "Macs" with AMD processors in them. Of course, human curiosity being what it is, people peeked inside, and saw Athlons.

Of course, now that the OS is actualy nothing more than a unix variant under the skin, porting stuff back and forth is child's play for Apple.

They should have let this bug out of the jar years ago.

The next deal that they should ink should be with Dell. That would give Windows a run for the money...a choice of OS on your new computer from Dell!

Apple's big problem is that they labor under the delusion that they're a hardware manufacturer. They write insanely great software. They just need to realize that, and people will throw Windows out the window for good.

Bill Gates only stole everything from Steve Jobs anyway (OK, Steve stole it from Xerox PARC, but it's better to get your stolen goods firsthand, right?).

Besides, Bill has enough money. It's nice to see that he's finally giving some away to charities, though. Maybe people will hate the guy less.
  5. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    As long as new Mac software remains compatible with the PPC architecture, I don't care. Just recently bought a Powerbook 17", and don't want it becoming obsolete anytime soon! :D

Russ :bassist:
  6. Not really. Considering that it's damn near impossible to build your own Mac, or upgrade your curent one. The market just isn't there. Besides, Windows has had a solid foothold for far too long to really go anywhere.

And Jobs and Wozniak are living in poverty?
  7. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    personally, i am all for the change. maybe there will be price reductions, maybe not. but it should be a lot easier to port apps to the intel hardware.

in fact, i would like to see an AMD Opteron option.
  8. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    About Dell, hell no! The big part of Windows' problems has been the ka-zillion different manufacturers having the cheap Asian/whonot labour making lousy code and hardware - this leads to huge compatibility problems. Besides, in my subjective opinion, Dells are POS anyways.

Apple IS a hardware manufacturer, and a good one too. Just look at iMac's, Mac Mini, iPods, PowerMacs, Apple laptops.. they are superior on every design and engineering aspect when compared to WinTel machines. The G5 is a great processor, too, however IBM hasn't been able to keep their promises about processor roadmaps, so Jobs has chosen to swap the CPU manufacturer for something better.

Big part of Apples success had been Jobs' need to control every tiny detail that has gone into his machines, from processor to software. He might be a control freak, but he's a visionare too - and on sidemention, has guts to pull off stunts that would and do leave MS and other money-focused businesses gaping when he needs to.

If he'd give the keys to whoever might feel like building OS X components, Apple would be down to *gasp* Windows-level within a year :help:
  9. powerslave

powerslave Guest

Feb 24, 2005
    United States
    all this means is that Apple will be using and purchasing the Hardware (chips) from Intel. Thats all...this has nothing to do with software at all. the OS (software) is not related ... Hello? :eyebrow:
  10. Correct.