1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Apple iPad Update ... (Haters, eat crow!)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by IotaNet, Oct 7, 2010.

1. For all the people who had all kinds of pithy comments to make about "Apple Fanboys" and "Electronic Maxi Pads" and "Oversized iPod Touch" and everything else (And if you don't remember who you are, this thread will help: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=655204&), I have only one thing to ask:

"Would you like your crow served with bread, butter or salt?"

I TOLD you so! :smug:

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    They could sell 800,000,000 of the devices, it still doesn't fill a need for me.

-Mike

3. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    Good for them. [​IMG]

I haven't even seen one yet. [​IMG]

4. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears

May 29, 2007
    Huge sales or not, it's still more or less an oversized iPod touch. :smug:

That said, I'm not a "hater", per se. I could see how others may find it useful (for example, using it as an e-book reader or to read online news would be far superior to using an iPod Touch or iPhone), but at this point I have little use for one that can't be filled just fine by my iPhone.

5. It fulfills no need for me but I still want one. Probably gonna wait for the iPad 2 or 3. I need Wi-Fi and multi-tasking.

6. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I've been seriously thinking about getting one.

My 10-year-old daughter (has a chromosomal disorder) doesn't seem to grasp the mouse/keyboard - screen connection -- i.e. she doesn't grasp that using the mouse or keys affects what goes on the screen. That means she hasn't been able to use the computer much, though we've tried.

But she does do well with touch screens. Her teacher last year said she didn't think my daughter would add or multiply numbers any time soon, but we got her a flash card app for her Ipod touch and she was adding and multiplying single digit numbers with 90% accuracy in a week or two. Teacher was flabbergasted. I guess we just had to find the right way to reach her.

So now I am seriously thinking about getting one for her. How "tough" are they in terms of durability/construction?

7. I want an iPod Touch. I didn't get one for my birthday, but maybe there's Christmas. It has cameras. The iPad...nope. No cameras here.

8. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Even though I have already proclaimed myself NOT a "hater", seeing as I own alot of their product, but merely because you expect it:

[​IMG]

Face it Iota, not everyone will agree with you. It's called life. Deal.

9. If you weren't a hater, I wasn't talking to you so you didn't have to respond.
    I don't expect everyone to agree with me but as we can see, millions of others already have. You don't, so feel free to move along and take your snarky little picture with you. [​IMG]

10. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    I don't hate the iPad. I hate people who think it's a netbook-killer or an e-reader-killer.

It's pretty awesome for people who don't need - or want to replace - a computer.

11. I've had mine since they came out...LOVE IT.

I use it in a medical setting for digital x-rays, MRIs, and some electronic notes. In this respect, it is a game changer...Some really cool stuff coming out for the iPad that I hope to implememt in my office soon.

At home, I mainly use it for email and casual browsing while lounging on the couch. It also makes a good travel companion. Definitely NOT a replacement for a desktop/laptop IMHO.

12. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Now now, all in good fun.

13. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    Unfortunately until the iPad can run JAVA, it does me no good as it will not interface with my VPN at work. :(

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Hey Carver.....what EMR do you use?

-Mike

15. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    And Nickleback has sold what, 30 million records? I don't see your point. Just because something sells a lot, does not make it a good product.

16. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    +1! Curious here too

17. What it does mean however, is that the company developed a product that there was a need/desire for and millions of people voted with their wallets. The discussion wasn't about whether the product would be "Good" because that takes you into a "Good for what?" conversation and that's highly subjective.

A lot of folks were vocal about their opinion that it was going to FAIL in the marketplace. It has not -- it's been a success and I (and others) thought it would be from the beginning. That's my point.

18. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    We love ours. I use it as a PDF reader for music at my gigs. We use it as a browser/email device at home along with our desktop computer. My daughter draws pictures and send them to her mom at work. She practices letters and numbers, listens to her music, etc.

Ours is not intended to be a computer or replace a computer - well, it does kind of replace a computer as I don't need a full on computer to browse and do email on the couch. We don't have iPhones. If we did/could I still wouldn't want to do much browsing on it. The screen is small for my old eyes. Maybe for a quick look, but not anything sustained. We'd like iPhones for the phone, music player and the face to face for when dads out of town and still wants to see the kids at bedtime.

It's hard to deny the numbers. 12 million is 12 million. I would love to sell 12 million of something - useful or not. I'd still be a gazillionaire.

19. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I bought my wife an I-Pad (32 gig wi-fi version) for her use and it is an amazing tool. It is the only Apple-anything I have ever purchased .... She is an artist/designer and the I-Pad allows her to presentations that could not be duplicated with any other laptop or net book (we've tried that route and failed).

I am neither pro or con Apple, in principle, but I am definitely pro I-Pad .... amazingly simplistic use in a creative environment :cool:

20. Right now, I'm using a combo of Eclipse, QuickCharts, and Genesis Imaging...All running on windows XP.

However, I'm about to get rid of all my PC's and switch my entire practice over to Macs...Using MacPractice, and Osirix for imaging. From what I can tell, MacPractice has some amazing features, like being able to customize a daily SOAP note template on the iPad, and just point and check boxes, then it will automatically generate your daily note. Most insurance companies still haven't gotten on board with total electronic notes, but it is on the horizon, and will supposedly be manditory for all physicians in 2012.

If you're an MD, DC, or DDS, I would suggest checking out macpractice.

Note: I'm not affiliated with MP in any way..I just think it's a nice program.