Apple iPod

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by TimothyGroovy, Apr 4, 2004.

1. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    Hey folks, I will buy myself an Apple iPod 20GB player next week, just wonders any Tbers are iPod owner as well, any comments on this little white box? :D
  2. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I have been thinking of buyiong one and here are the issues I have been made aware of (particularly in vis a vis the IRiver IHP-120):

IPOD issues:
    - Battery issues are still around (ie battery life) and also the amount of playing time you get out of a charge (generally half the competitors products).

- Limited support for file types (ie doesnt support WMA or Ogg Vorbis)

- Can only Sync with one PC.

- Cannot easily be used as a external HDD

- Sound quality is generally regarded as poorer than the competitors products

- Accessories are expensive and you must use the proprietary AC adaptor

- You should not jog / run or engage in vigarous exercise with them (any HDD player)

- Best looking by far (personal)

- Smallest player

- Easiest to use (particularly one handed)

- Supports playlists on the fly

- Has proper random / shuffle play (IHP does not)

- (I think) has gapless playback (IHP does not)

- ITunes is by all accounts very good

- Excellent after sales service
  3. I'd also take a look at the CreativeLabs Nomad Jukebox Zen.
  4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

-that's what I went with, pretty much for the reasons Mr. Latimour listed.

5. Once I get the money I'm getting one.
  6. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I have a 40GB iPOD and I love it. No regrets. It sounds great. The interface is by far the most intuitive and easy to use.

You can also keep your schedule notes, phone and address info in it. It also can be used as a nifty external harddrive.
  7. Wyzird05

Dec 1, 2003
    South Bend, IN
    I probably wouldn't go with the Nomad, a buddy of mine owned the Nomad I and Nomad II and both broke within a year of use. So unless they greatly improved the Jukebox series I would stick with looking at the IPOD or the Dell is pretty cool.
  8. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    2 anecdotal stories from the same person hardly speak to the quality of product line. Big :rolleyes: for you! ;)
  9. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've had my 15GB iPod for a few months, and the thing is a godsend. It sounds great, very easy to use. Easily used as a hard drive-you just have to set up some things in the Preferences menu. My friend has one of those Dell ones, and it's crap. When you are browsing, you have to wait for the songs to load, where on the iPod, everything runs slick and smooth. The battery on the iPod will only last about 18 months, but a new battery is around $50. The battery needs a full charge for it to run well. I found that if i leave it charging past the "Charged" notice, it will last much longer the next day. I used it for about 2 hours in my car, and the battery was still about 7/8ths full. I've never ran out of battery, and i use mine all the time, every day. Just charge it every night, and it'll be fine.
  10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I got a 20GB 3rd generation iPod, I love it. I use it everyday going to class, and on flights. Very awesome gizmo.
  11. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Actually, I had a Nomad II that was dead after just a few months. When I went shopping for another personal player, I never even considered another Nomad. One bad experience was enough for me.

I have a 20G iPod. Love it, though the one-computer thing is a pain. And transferring my library from my PC to my Mac wasn't as easy as it should've been. With that said, it's a very cool toy.

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    happened to my friend too, then he got an iPod.

interesting how it only took one anecdotal story about the (iPodsdirtysecret) to steer many people away from the iPod :meh:
  13. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001

Actually, everything here a total of three stories. I think it's more than one person on the ipod battery deal, as reported by the BBC, CNET, TechTV, others (google) is more than one story. Here are some links to illustrate my point:,24330,3472745,00.html (this link contains the fix, for anyone interested)

I could go on... let's try and remain objective. Believe it or not, I would encourage people to post the same about any other mp3 player (including the Nomad) so that folks can get a more broad based sampling other than "well my friend's ...."
  14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    And there have been a total of 4 stories against the nomad II in this thread alone. :meh:

I'm sure I could find many more.

the point is, anecdotal stories don't mean anything here. Any unit produced in massive volumes(over 2 million iPods out there) is bound to have defects. The battery issue isn't normal, just as defective creative nomads isn't normal. So why should you judge the product as a whole, based on a minority of exceptions?

for the record, my iPod has no battery issues, it regularly gets 8 hours, just as apple says it should. I've had it for ~ 6 months.

the iPod battery length is kind of shoddy, it used to be 10-12 hours, now it's 6-8. That's something apple needs to resolve. But shoddy battery reliability is FUD.
  15. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Which is why I posted some actual articles. (BTW -I counted three stories because two were from the same "friend"...) Anyway, as usual I think my point is clear to most if not all. Read those links, there is more to learn than just about the battery.
  16. I think that the issue wasnt that the ipod often had battery issues, but that Apple was unwilling to offer support and it was nearly impossible to replace in the rare case that it failed. Since then Apple is now willing to replace the battery for a charge, and there are some battery kits out there that you can buy, so this isn't really a problem anymore.
  17. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    FWIW I have done a fair bit of research about these products and there is none that seems to "have it all".

I think at this stage it is definately a choice between the iPod and the IHP-120 (which, apart from a couple of "firmware" issues is aparently superior in all but looks / easy of use).

The IHP key firmware issues are:

- Does not have a "random" shuffle play (always shuffles in the same order)

- Does not support gapless playback

- Is limited to 9999 files and 2000 directories

Word is iHP will correct these issues in the upgradable firmware, but they are slow to react to customer concerns and their customer service is not as good as apples.

IMO - I would wait until the HP branded Ipod is released (WMA + Ogg Vorbis support) or the new IRiver model (may / june). Which will be vastly superior (for PC users) to the current models on the market.

BTW the iPod battery issue is not that it costs you $50 to replace it (which is common to almost all the HDD players except the Creative Zen), but that its charge life is about 50% shorter than the competitors (oe 6-8 hours) vs 10-12 hours on the other products and, as WR has said, it doesnt work as well on a 3/4 charge.
  18. The battery issue i was referring to was the old one that had been brought up. Soemone posted some links about it. Before the battery kits came out and before Apple was willing to service the battery in the event of failure, there were a few people who made a big fuss over how the only way to fix a defective battery that only lasts a few months is to buy a new ipod. Some guy even made a video of him walking around spraypainting a warning on a bunch of ipod advertisements. Anyways, I think we're talking about different battery issues, but thanks for bringing the battery life issue up. I'd heard only good things about the ipod's battery life per charge, but i'll have to look furthur into this issue since i'm also considering buying an mp3 player.
  19. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    i'm going to a portable wax cylinder as a result of this awful thread.
  20. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    FWIW it really depends on what you intend to use the HDD MP3 player for that will determine the best product for you at the moment.

I listen to music at work - I really wanted to bring my whole CD collection to work via a hdd MP3 player and just randomly shuffle through songs (therefore iHP is no good) - however the Ipod AC adapter issue (an extra one costs around $100Aus) is prohibitive and its limited file support also is worrying - but most importantly, ive heard that the sound quality is substantially less than the competitors products (with Creative being the best).

So there is no one perfect answer, but if the player you are looking at does the job for you then go for it. IMO if it is not an "essential" purchase now, I would wait until the next gen Ipod / HP product is realesed and the new Iriver player comes out.