1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Apple just as bad as MS

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by syciprider, Oct 3, 2008.

1. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Try getting a custom ringtone for your iPhone. Apple are disgusting. I just bought my last Apple product.

/rant

2. Alcyon

Alcyon

Jan 15, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    you're basing your whole opinion on that? and comparing apple to microsoft because of just that?

somebody close this ridiculous thread please.

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Easy fanboy, easy.

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    In all fairness, I think the OP might be using "hyperbole". I mean really, I would much rather an apple than multiple-sclerosis. Now, a bananna on the other hand....

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Wait, your fruit has tunes?

6. Someone just noticed that apple are pretty much the exact same as MS, wow! :rolleyes:

7. deggial

deggial

May 27, 2008
    Athens, Greece
    I think in essence they're making a serious mistake in the way they handle iPhone as an Apple-controlled platform, requiring their approval for software, ringtone services, etc. Although I am a Mac user, this has been a deal-breaker for me.

It will be interesting to see how the market develops once Android OS is out, being the exact opposite, a very open platform for mobile application development.

8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The new iPhone will only use music purchased via iTunes for their ringtone. Ok so far so good. Most of us have a few of those. Then it's another .99 cents to use a tune as a ringtone. A tune you already paid for. There was a workaround but an iTunes update closed that "loophole".

MS is evil but when Apple shows the same greed Mac fans just spread them and say Yes Please!

9. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    A Macbook in the States: 999 dollar

A Macbook in Europe: 999 euro

Anyone care to explain this 382 dollar / 270 euro we're paying extra?

:meh:

10. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    As of a week ago it was still very possible to make your own ringtones, did I miss something? :eyebrow:

In my company's case, the fact that Apple is keeping such a tight control on the developers is a POSITIVE trait. It keeps the platform stable, and allows the phone to function reliably in a business environment. We allow employees to choose their own smartphones, and they are moving to the iPhone in droves. My old Blackberry has been collecting dust since I got mine.

To each their own, I think it's a brilliant product and smart strategy. Then again, I'm an IT nazi. :p

-Mark

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    No they didn't. I just made another ringtone right in iTunes after your post to test it because I hadn't made one since iTunes 8 came out and it works just fine. You can also make one in Audacity and I've been told that Garage Band has some sort of "Export as ringtone" option. It's fairly easy to do right in iTunes though. Google it because I don't have time to type it out this morning.

I guess it's time for Maki to break out the FAIL pics.

bc

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    But yeah...Apple can be just as bad if not worse than MS...they're worse when it comes to proprietary stuff. I think they're even worse than Sony when it comes to that.

bc

13. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Import taxes and duties?

I dunno......

14. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    You guys are farther away from china?:confused:

15. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Yours don't?

I think that the whole ring tone thing is a bit much to completely discount an entire brand.

16. jwbassman

jwbassman Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
  17. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    I believe it's what the person on the other end of the line, and what they say, that is the important factor in this device.

You'll find many sounds already in the phone that will inform you there is someone who really needs to speak with you. No matter what your ringtone is and how carefully you constructed or chose it, what it actually says about you is probably not what you intended.

It's funny, we used to put all this effort now placed in ringtones on our answer message. Now we get a generic voice telling us to leave a message after the beep.

Not personal, just really sick of the importance placed on this nonsense.

18. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    In all fairness, I can see why you would be upset. I know how much it would mean to you to have the Village People's "In the Navy" as your ringtone. :)

19. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i literally hate apple as much as i do MS. I use Apple at home and PC at the office..

like others, i see the pro's and con's of both scams they are running..

as well, every iPod that I have used has gone to s###, and what did my dumb### do.... buy another iPod. :( i'll never learn.

20. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    If you have garageband you can drag the song you want into the window and cut/fade in/out where you want it. Then go to export as ringtone (I forget what heading that's under, probably share). It pretty much helps you along. Note: won't work with apple DRM stuff. So you can't use your songs from the iTunes store, which is how they get you to use that 99cent thing which only works with iTunes purchases. If you rip from a cd or pirate you can use the GB method.

I'm always up for some of maki's failpics though...