Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Apple Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Call, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Does anyone have one of these yet? I'm looking into getting one to use for some recording/video editing. It's not a G5, but for $500.....

Actually, I'd probably go with the $600 version since it's got a much larger hard drive. Do you think these will be sufficient to record/edit with? Of course, I'd probably be using an externam hard drive anyway. So I guess the hard drive isn't such a huge deal.

So. Any thoughts?

2. I think they will be very adequate. It's basically last year's processor, and they've been video editing on those for quite some time...

Good little machines. I wish to get one myself for just the same purpose. I plan on the quicker version, with a bump in RAM.

Can you buy off the shelf RAM for these? Their prices are pretty high per upgrade...

3. i don't believe the monitor is included in the 500 dollar deal, of course 700 dollars isn't a bad price either for a mac, but just to make sure you know of all the costs!

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The mac mini is designed, primarily for windows users that already have a monitor, keyboard and mouse. Because the mac mini comes with none of these. Bear that in mind, because, the more stuff you end up buying with your mini, the more you're really asking for an eMac. Also, Minis and iPod shuffles are completely sold out everywhere, so good luck finding one.

5. I guess you could just buy from the apple online store.

IMO the mac minis are very nice, if i hadn't just got myself a laptop I would get one.

6. Kevjmyers

Kevjmyers

Dec 10, 2004
    Boulder. CO
    Upgrades are too pricey...

7. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    If you want to do video editing you might do well to pay the $100 DVD-RW upgrade fee. That way you get iDVD as well as iMovie & iPhoto. I don't know how fast software MPEG-2 encoding is on the PC, but iDVD on my PowerBook (1.25GHz G4) encodes at a speed around 75% of realtime.

[edit]
    I started doing (nonprofessional) video editing in iMovie on a 500MHz Titanium PowerBook (in 2001), and the Mac mini is easily 2-3x as powerful as the TiBook.

Whatever you do, get a 512MB chip for it. You don't have to buy from Apple (uses standard SDRAM) if you want to save a few $$, but you'll definitely want to catch the video that's floating around on the net which shows how to open the case. Hint, you need to use a spackling trowel because the top part of the case snaps into the bottom part, it isn't held on by screws.

8. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Funny. For years people have complained that you can't get a Mac w/o a monitor unless you buy the PowerMac. Now they come out with a BYODKM (bring your own display, keyboard & mouse) model, and people complain that it doesn't come with a monitor (not saying you're doing the complaining sbm2000). :D :bag:

9. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I was watching an Apple Mini mod on G4TechTv, on The Screensavers, and they said that the hard drive is just a laptop hard drive, and the RAM is just REGULAR RAM, so you could take RAM from a PC and put it in there. Check out G4TechTv's website.

10. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I just read a good article about the mac mini over at ipodlounge.com. Check it out. Very informative and a nice review of the mac mini as it pertains to PC users.

11. Yup, regular DDR333-RAM but that was to be expected (same thing for the hardrive)