1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Apple Mac with Intel processor issues?????

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Murf, May 14, 2006.

1. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Hi guys/gals
    I do occassional freelance graphic design work for a newspaper and recently they decided to upgrade their entire computer system with the new Macs running Intel gear (up until now they were using G5s) until a techie dude came in to examine the existing system and told 'em that the new Macs (with Intel components) have a SERIOUS problem running Adobe Indesign CS/Illustrator and Photoshop :eek: ...what the hell????

If this is true ...WHAT THE HELL WERE APPLE THINKING?? Every major design studio has traditionally used Macs...now suddenly the new Macs cant use the MAIN software for graphic design????

Anyone else have any info on this?

(personally dosent bother me in the slightest as I'm equally at home with Macs or Pcs..just seems very strange that Apple have basically alienated about 80% of their users...dosent make any sense)

2. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I recall hearing something about some software not yet being made compatible with the new Intel chips/Apple OS. The lag appears to be because Apple shipped the new Intel Macs earlier than expected and so software companies are behind. Adobe doesn't say when it will support the Intel Macs, but says that it updates its software every "18-24 months". This has more info: http://www.adobe.com/products/pdfs/intelmacsupport.pdf.

This issue isn't hard to see so you would think that people thinking of investing in brand new machines would check this out before buying them.

3. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Very Interesting I can see this as being an "inconvenience" for some software but considering Macs are primarily used in the design industry this seems like an horrendous "balls up" marketing wise...yes, they're trying to get more of the home user share but at the end of the day Joe Public is still going to buy a pc over a Mac anyday regardless of the merits of the each system...cost being a prime factor and Macs are more expensive (personally I'd take a Mac over a pc anyday) but for Apple to release a new machine which cant run the applications its traditionally used for is just ludicrous.

Ah yes but you must understand non "computer" people are clueless when it comes to this sort of thing...Graphic designers especially ;) "I'm a graphic designer..I HAVE to use a Mac" :rolleyes: ;)

4. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    friend of mine has one of the iMacs with the intel chip.

CS2 works fine in it. and in my bosses Macbook Pro

5. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Happens all the time with their OS. Take going from OS9 To OSX. Completely backwards incompatible. Well, not completely, there was Classic (which still would not run specific OS9 apps).

Usually with their "big" upgrades in OS, you're looking at some Apps that will be incompatible for whatever reason.... it just means you're waiting for the software developers to get cracking, THEN you can upgrade.

I love Mac's and can't wait to get my MB Pro, but I'll wait for Digidesign to complete their Mactel version of Protools.

I think that having the ability to boot Windows with their laptops will actually get more PC users switching. In my case, it allows me to get rid of my PC desktop all together.

6. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    +1

i am actually surprised a business would upgrade to a relatively untested piece of merchandise. doesnt seem to be very sound thinking. (im guessing an over-anxious tech manager nic'ing for a new intel mac.)

i bought an ibook in feb, and didnt really even consider waiting for the macbook, because i didnt want to be a "beta-tester" for apple.

7. C'est la vie.

The Mac Book Pro line is ridiculously fast but my general rule of thumb is to not live on the bleeding edge and wait for at least a couple of release cycles, especially when software is yet to be optimized for platform.

8. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Adobe products have to rely on Rosetta to run at this point. Once the Adobe apps get converted to run natively on the Intel processor under OS X, they will run very fast. As far as i know, Adobe plans to make that update complete sometime later this year or early next year.

9. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Actually, why designers love to use Macs is, well, because they are so well designed machines. Of course there's a load of "industry standard" software for Macs out there, too, but designer people are very aestethicly minded people, and Mac is known for delivering both on the inside and outside - it's the same way that construction workers want their tools to be solid and take years of abuse, so they buy certain brand products they know.

But anyways, I have undestood that some software runs bit slower, some even a bit faster with Rosetta "conversion" in use, when compared to the previous processors. It's roughly the same speed than with the old machines, so it's clearly not living up to the potential of new Intel processor base, until Adobe and such companies release Intel-Mac-versions of their software.

So there is no "serious flaw" with Intel Mac's, just something that prevents the programs running up to potential a bit at the moment. Most companies seem to be waiting until the Intel versions come out, though.