1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Apple says is it will shut down iTunes if they must pay 6 more cents in royalties

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by AlphaMale, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Let em shut it down!

Crappy program wouldn't be used if it wasn't nearly the only thing an iPod can communicate with...

Program is so slow if you get a lot of tunes in there.... Comes with a bunch of other junk that it "needs".

Bleh

:)

2. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    See if he actually has the balls to do it.

3. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    I want them to do it, the new update sucks. I hope they play chicken.

4. I think the scope of this may be wider than just iTunes.

I've read that internet radio ans other popular concerns [XM?] may also be severely affected.

Am I off-base.

5. I love iTunes. Best music player I've ever used, mac or PC. I'd be sad if it ever went away

6. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yeah, but Apple has created almost a whole separate "music business" by themselves. They're pretty unhelpful with the artists in mind anyway, and I think they could more than afford it.

7. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    I think they're just getting rid of the store, not necessarily the program itself.

8. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
    damn, i like itunes.

my buddy's probably taking this hard.
    he worships anything with an "i" in front.

9. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    Srsly. My computer can play the Witcher at full graphics without any choppyness, but iTunes actually lags when I'm moving the window or changing the size of the icons for instance.

10. OtterOnBass

OtterOnBass

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    I remember an article about iTunes and Apple saying that it's such a tiny percent of their income that closing it would mean nothing to them. It doesn't have a slice in their pie charts, but is part of other miscellaneous profits that are a tiny slice. Sorry that's all I remember.

Those three are going to raise government-enforced price increases on a market that is collapsing from theft? I'm not totally informed but it seems like an easy decision. Alright honest folk, give us money to make up for all the criminal downloading.

11. Okay, show me a link to the apple website where they confirm this action, then I'll beleive it. Baring in mind the usage of itunes worldwide then they'd have to be insane to consider something like that, sounds like a bit of a hoax to me.

12. Yeah... I have Crysis with max detail all the way up running fine... but it takes forever to open iTunes, and if I actually connect my iPod while it opens, I have to get up and walk a way for a bit before I can touch it without it tweaking out. :(

13. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    Ever consider the fact they're bluffing?
    Or the fact that no one has to pay to use iTunes.
    And it's hard to get rich off of spyware-free software that is not ad or donation supported.
    It is world wide, but not everyone is playing to use it.
    It would be like an economic sanction almost.

I don't think you read anything because it says

"If the [iTunes music store] was forced to absorb any increase in the... royalty rate, the result would be to significantly increase the likelihood of the store operating at a financial loss -- which is no alternative at all," wrote Apple iTunes vice president Eddy Cue in a statement filed with the board last year, according to Fortune.

it's in fortune magazine

its' even on CNN

http://money.cnn.com/2008/09/30/technology/itunesthreat.fortune/index.htm?postversion=2008093014

14. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Just to make sure no one's getting confused..

They're threatening to shut down the use of the iTunes STORE.
    Not iTunes it self.

Just want to make things clear :)

And, go ahead Apple! I have never bought anything from you.

15. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    apple makes about 12 cents a song sold if I recall correctly when its said and done.

They are very strong behind there 99 cent price.. They refuse to raise it.. So essentially if it raises 6 cents and they dont raise their price to $1.05 then the money coming in is cut in half..

I understand people are easy to bash Apple or MS or whatever but their not in this game to lose money.. And well taking 1/2 the profit is a losing battle and would make sense to just close shop.

16. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Why don't they start charging $1.00 I'm sure people wouldn't mind a one cent raise.

Now, keep in mind, i've never bought anything off iTunes. Do they charge tax on the songs?? Or is it 99 cents even?

17. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    We're talking about the iTunes store here, not the actual player. Apple will continue to support and update it, but you wouldn't be able to buy songs and download them.

So what? I just load my own CDs on it anyway. If I want to buy a song, I get it from Amazon.com.

18. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    I don't think it's even that much. I think 70c goes to the label. leaving them 29 cents to pay for their software development, servers, support, bandwidth, marketing.

That's pretty artist friendly already - if the artist and the label happen to be the same person. The record companies are as ever taking the biggest cut. Given how easy it is for independant artists to ge stuff on iTunes, and actually get cash, the artists should be looking to get a biggert cut from their rcord companies, rather than the vendor.

19. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Bring back the record store!