Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

APPLE TO DROP BOMBSHELL TO COMPETE WITH WINDOWS...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DEFELDUS, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    They are also rumored to release a 1GB iPod for $149 which, imo= game over, since 1GB players generally run for $249 or so.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

I'll buy one of those. I have wanted an iPOD, but I don't need one of those giant 20 or 40 GB'ers. It would take me days to listen to all of those songs.

-Mike

3. That would be the point! I love having gig upon gig and day upon day of music at my fingertips... but I guess I do fall into that "young male" category of people that buy electronics in piles.

4. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I guess there supposably doing an iPhone also, since they are working with Motorola. I was reading somewhere on what it will be, and they said that it will be a phone with a low memory flash memory stick (256mb'ish?) or something. Sounds pretty awsome though. I'm totally digging the iPod photo :D.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Motorola just announced this at the CES conference, it is to have a 1GB flash card and essentially operate a lot like the iPod in terms of syncing and interface, but it's a phone. I think it's going to pack a lot of premium phone features, but it's going to be under the $500 tier phone.

the iPhone might be the flash iPod, but I don't think so.

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Did you hear that Think Secret is being sued for releasing that info?

Apple is suing a bunch of other people too including the people that they suspect leaked the info claiming that they released trade secrets.

brad cook

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    There are several models of 1 to 1.5 gig players out there for less than $150. Rio has a couple. None that I would buy though. :)

brad cook

8. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    They want to really drop a bomb? Make Mac OS run on PC so I don't have to change my equipment.

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I would buy one for the gym if it's small enough. I have a huge capacity Zen, which I love, but it's a little big to carry around. I got my wife a 1.5 Rio which is VERY small, but cost $200. So a 1gb tiny iPod would rock.

10. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    .....but it's still a mac.

11. And your point is?

12. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    That it's still a Mac.

13. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Trust me, this is a good thing. :)

14. _Unregistered_

_Unregistered_

Nov 3, 2004
    It exists. They keep it around, like a bug in a jar. Supposedly, parallel development continues with each Power PC version revision, but they never let it out the door...but for once:

There was actually a small test release of the OS running on AMD boxes that were sealed, and given out to beta testers. Of course they weren't supposed to open them, but some testers did and were shocked to find out that they were in fact driving "PCs".

I don't know why Apple doesn't just get it over with, and release it to the world. I guess they still haven't figured out that they aren't really a good hardware company, but in fact a great software company.

15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    A $499 iMac with no display is a cool move, it removes the last argument against Macs: that they cost too much. That price puts them right up against the entry level systems that everyone else is selling in Windows-land.

The article is a bit misleading, though. The "special" iLife suite is what already ships with all Macs that don't have DVD-RW drives. In Mac-speak a "combo" drive is CD-RW but DVD read only. A "superdrive" is CD-RW and DVD-RW.

Another misleading thing is the argument that it's "not about performance". My 800Mhz iMac G4 is way faster than my 2.?? GHz Pentium that I have at work. They will probably ship with either the 1.2 or 1.33GHz G4 CPUs used in current iBooks so they will easily be as responsive as a $500 Windows box.

As far as a 1GB iPod, huh???? You can't hold very much music on one. It makes maintaining your playlists way more complicated compared to having ALL the music in the player at all times. A big part of the iPod experience is when you connect to the computer and it adds all your new music without you having to do ANYTHING. Since iTunes has a mode where it auto-rips a CD when you insert it the first time it makes keeping the iPod updated totally automated. With only 1GB, every time you go out the door you have to choose what playlists to upload and then wait around for the transfer.

16. its a bombshell because of the price people! 500 bucks for a new apple is ridiculously cheap! not to mention its all but asking for people to buy it and use the monitor from their pc...

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

$499 Mac? $149 1Gb $149 iPod?

I'm there, dude.:cool:
    I am one of those who doesn't see the point of a 40 GB player, but I would love a 1GB player with the Ipod interface, and the price is very attractive too.

18. yes, the 1 gb ipod sounds awesome. the only problem i have with ipods is that they play nothing but .mp3s. no wmp, no .ogg, etc. a lot of my digital music is non mp3 and converting is a hassle