Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Apples and Oranges: Sadowsky Vs. Fodera

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yamarc, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I am having a Fodera sent to me as I write this post, I will compare it to my current all-time favorite bass: my sadowsky!

Just wondering if anybody else has had both and to see what they thought about one over the other.

I know they are apples and oranges but I can only keep one of these amazing basses and I just am wondering about others experiences while I wait to test them myself....

Which one did you prefer? which was most versatile? which had the best playbility? why do you prefer one over the other?

We are comparing two different animals but there are some similarities (like price, etc.) These are the best of the best which do you call "good" and which do you call "best"? thanks

2. Your title sums it up: this is an orchard and I'm sure the camps devoted to each luthier will chime in.

I demo'd a Fodera Vic Wooten for a week; I preferred the Sadowsky. Of course, Jared feels different.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I say that the Fodera and Sadowsky are so different that you should really look over your budget and see what yoou can cut so that you can afford both of them. You obviously have expensive taste in basses, so why get rid of one of these top of the line basses because you will likely be tempted to get another or its equivalent.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    my main bass is a Sadowsky PJ. and i just got my Fodera "fretless" Imperial 5. and they both rawk me.

one bass takes the best of the old school and revs it up for the modern world, while the other is a whole new modern school of its own. :cool:

5. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

:p

I have quite the rep it seems.

Personally I don't feel the vic wooten model is indicative of the kind of bass you can get from Fodera. The four strings I have played have been, while good, not exactly exceptional to me. That is, of course, my opinion. And it has been limited to Vic Wooten models and nothing else as well. Their best fives I have played are incredible, in my experience, along with a few stellar sixes I have tried (and a fretless I owned that was unbelievable).

It just depends on what you like.

6. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I have a Sadowsky vintage 4 and my Fodera Imperial 5 has been on sale at Groove Shoppe.

The Fodera is the most beautiful instrument I've owned but I wasn't playing it that much and since I really am more of a Fender guy the Sadowsky suits me better. But the Fodera got played for a lot of years before she went up for sale.

7. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I own a V Wooten 4 string neck through ...for about a year....
    I also own a few Sadowskys.
    I have been playing Sadowskys since 1996.
    The Sadowskys where and have remained my main basses....
    Sadowsky basses have been described by many as Fenders on steroids... and as mentioned "Old School" with some added booty from the pre. I most recently purchased a Vintage Sadowsky P Bass and its amazing.....
    While the Fodera is a beautiful instrument its a very different sounding instrument........ it sounds great but its different.

Its obviously too bad you cannot keep both..they are both extremely high quality basses

A few questions for you...
    What type of music style do you play.....
    The Jazz and P Style Basses are standards while the Fodera is a modern design with a modern sound that might not fit in some settings.
    Do you do studio work...engineers are very familair with J Basses and P style Basses...
    Foderas are not a common site in many studios.

The mid control on the Fodera bass is something I am still playing with ..I would be interested in hearing your thoughts ...I am still playing with it..

Look forward to hearing more from you when the bass arrives...

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Jared:Fodera::Munji:Eden

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    What are the Matt Garrison sigs like?

10. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

You ever heard his bass? I'm jealous I didn't think of it first.

11. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I have both. :hyper:

Don't be surprised if you try to figure out some way to do the same. I never have intended to keep and play just one.

It's funny as my VW Monarch is a very thrilling bass to play. And the other two that I've played were extremely nice. :confused: