1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Apples are in season here.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Sep 27, 2013.

1. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Did you ever have a bland flavorless apple that tastes like recycled balsa wood? :spit: That apple probably tasted that way because it had been sitting in storage somewhere for a long time.
    If you don't know what is in season just check your local farmer's market or ask the produce guy at the grocery store.
    Last month it was gravenstein apples and I just had a nice juicey Fuji. YUM!
    Peaches and necatarines are on their way out but now comes apples and soon it will be tangerines.
    If there is not a recent crop of local fruit available you can get some pretty good imported fruit. If it is not in season in the Northern hemisphere I look for fruit from the Southern hemisphere.

2. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    I'm the produce guy at the grocery store. It's amazing how many people don't understand the concept of growing seasons.

3. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    That's one thing I miss about living in Missouri - I was stupidly close to an apple orchard and had more than my fill of honest to God apple cider, oktoberfests and pumpkin ales, and a real autumn.

This is why I'm looking east/northeast for PhD schools.

I miss real autumn.... :bawl:

4. My mom grew up in Sebastopol, Ca., a place famous for its apples. Every year we would always take a little drive out to our favorite orchard and pick up some of the best apples on this green earth. The variety we could get and just buying them straight from the family that grew them was always a treat. And the Arkansas Blacks that were better than candy... oh man.

5. There's a local cider mill here that sells countless different apples, along with pumpkins and a plethora of locally made fresh stuffs, including cakes, pies, donuts, peanut butter, salad dressings, etc. The coup de grâce is their apple (or pear/apple) cider though. Not pasteurized or preserved in any other way, just 100% natural apple cider. It's insanely good. I may head there later today, actually.

6. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    The place I work is a 700 acre orchard (over 500 acres of apple trees).

We process over 600,000 pounds of apples a season into 320,000 pounds of apple puree.
    All organic of course.
    We then use that product to make applesauce packs that are served in kids school lunches.
    Also...Packed for resale for some retail stores, and to manufactures of baby food.
    In short - we handle A LOT of apples!

Apples started coming into the plant over a week ago and I am already sick of looking at them.

7. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Evansville
    "I like apples" has become the standard gossip or negativity killer statement at work.

It works every time.

I really do like apples as well.

8. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    Did you get the 5C or the 5S?

9. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Time for a trip to the cider mill! Hot cider and fresh donuts! Oh yeah!

10. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Picked a half-peck last weekend, and made 2 apple pies...one of which had Jim Beam, pure maple syrup and about 1/2 pound of crumbled bacon in it.

Tell me THAT didn't make me tear with joy.

Just picked up a half gallon of fresh that day apple cider, and a half dozen fresh that hour cider donuts. 10 minutes from my house.

I love New England.

11. I just went apple-picking--I'm a city girl myself, but one nice thing about living in a tiny-town is that Fall becomes the Best. Season. EVER.

I just picked Empire apples--they're a little like a stronger Pink Lady in flavor, but they tend to be a little small. I look forward to the Stayman-Winesaps and the Granny Smiths--both great for cooking. Galas and Fujis, the ones that most people around here are familiar with, are in season during October, and then we get Pink Lady apples in November (so those are my go-to apples for NaNoWriMo!) Going to Larriland Farm has been a family tradition since before we moved, and after the move, we were even closer.

And their apple butter is the best--put that stuff on some toast and you've got yourself a quick and delicious breakfast! :D