Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Apples???

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PICK, Nov 14, 2003.

1. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    OK heres the story! The computer im using at home SUX!! Ive always wanted a laptop/notebook. Now the question i have is what should i get?? Ive been keen on getting an iBook ever since i had seen the iPod. I know the iPod can be used with a "Standard" computer but im still trying to decide if i want a Mac based notebook or a Windows based Notebook. Im basically a computer Idiot so anyone here who has a for and against for Mac and windows based systems please post your thoughts.
    Thanks Dave
    P.S Sorry the post was so long.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I like apple.

their laptops are pure techno lust.

my sister just got a new iBook, she's LOVING it, she's not particularly computer savvy, and it suits her needs just fine(internet mostly)

if you play computer games, you probably don't want a mac, but other than that, they are fine for everything else.

I'm currently on a Powerbook 15"(friends) fyi :p

3. Why stop at Computer Idiot? :p

:D:D

Merls

4. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I have been LOVING my PowerBook G4 (12") for the past two and a half months or so. It works like a dream with everything I throw at it. It is the center of my dorm room both entertainment-wise and school-wise. The iBook's are really nice too. My bass teacher back home had one and it was a sweet little machine. You pretty much can't go wrong with any of the current crop of macs.

5. Macs are cool if you want to surf the internet and play music and type up stuff.

6. The only downfall I've found with Macs is the lack of games. But I don't play computer games, so that's no bother.

Oh, the price is a bit scary too, but that might be because I'm in the UK.

Other than that, I've consistantly found Macs to kick the pants off any comparable Windows systems in every department.

:cool:

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

[hijack] It's been a while: 'ELLO POLLY!! 'ELLO! [/hijack]

8. I generally hate computer wars, but ......

My day job is a computer tech at a university - I take care of 100+ Macs in one building. Deskotp G4's,
    G5's and a plethora of laptops. I used to be semi-busy in the OS9 days, but since OSX, I spend plenty of time on TalkBass at work :D

I use my iPod at work too as an external HD - did you know you can boot any Mac with Firewire off the iPod? Its cool. Try doing that with a PC :p

Anyhow, they are great, yes, pricey when compared to PC's. Yes, there are less games. I own a PS2 for that.

BTW, if you do get one and can afford it, get the AppleCare extended warranty, especially on a laptop. Not that something will go wrong, but if it does you're covered "bumper to bumper" for 3 years.

My TiPB 800 is nearly two years old and has rarely been shut down - I transport it to and from work twice a day, take it to band practice, etc etc. Never had a problem with it.

Prior to this one I had a PBG3 Pismo - the DVD-ROM went bad twice, and during the second trip to Apple they decided to replace the LCD screen too as it was discolored. Didn't charge me a penny. They even pay shipping both ways.

Hope that helped.

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    It's down to aesthetics and price these days. What do you want and what can you afford? As far as performance/reliability goes, you can build a PC that will rival or beat an Apple. I'd check out both types, then see if you like one better than the other. The days of w9x are over, people talking about the "blue screen of death" need to move into the present. I make my living as a techie too, btw.

10. There is no "rival and beat" - sure anyone can build a great, fast machine. Its really about what OS you wanna use.

OSX rules. Run VPC too if you want Windoze on the machine too.

Windoze - MS Evil (blue screen or not)

or use Linux, BSD, etc. on a PC. Certainly you have more OS options on a PC machine.

And I will also add that when other sysadmins at the .edu are spending their weeks cleaning up viruses and worms in the PC labs and offices, I'm sipping coffee watching a Paris Hilton mpeg :D

Seriously though ... arguing about computers is less fun than arguing about amps and basses.

Try them out .. buy what you like.

11. Oh yes!:)

12. joninjapan

joninjapan

Aug 13, 2003
    Tokyo, Japan
    You will be very happy with an Apple Macintosh... and the new G4 iBook 12inch maybe perfect... if you have space and don't need a notebook get an eMac
    :D

13. NO

17" iMac with superdrive!

14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

Hey Sanctum, don't get your hair up and take me out of context! For the record, I am a user of both platforms! I like both types of machines! (Does that make me bi? :eek: ) I wasn't trying to argue, just point out some things a self proclaimed "computer idiot" might benefit from reading. This is such a loaded issue- I guess I'm swearing off further participation this time.

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    eMac is WAAAY better value,

the iMac is likely to be updated soon enough, but until then it is a much better idea to get an eMac, save a lot of cash, get pretty much equal performance..etc.

*eagerly waiting for his Aluminum 15" powerbook*

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I had the same dillema when I got a new comp. I ended going with PC only because of all the media I had on my other computer was PC stuff.

And I wanted to be able to play games. I don't generally, but if I wanted to, I didn't want to have to worry about ports.

So I rock the Dell.

I still shoulda gone Apple, but whatcha gonna do, eh?

17. *grumbles about broadband screwing up*

I didn't think anyone would miss me!

:bassist:

18. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    here is another vote for the eMac. It is a much better deal than an iMac of comperable price.

As for the whole "windows vs. Apple" debate, i would definatley go apple. Apple does not make software that limits the progression of technology, and it is pretty damn slick looking, and working software. iTunes is worth the cost of a mac alone, and it saddens me that they released a windows version.:bawl:

bahh.. go with the mac

slicks

19. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

the iTunes/iTMS/iPod is the biggest tech trojan horse ever.

Even if it doesn't cause a lot of people to switch, it is giving apple ENORMOUS amount of cred and rep, and getting people to acknowledge them as a solid and valid platform, instead of not even thinking about it in the first place.

btw "big mac" the g5 supercomputer cluster is the 3rd fastest super computer in the world. 1100, dp 2.0 g5s strung together, the surprising thing here is that Apple won the bid from virginia tech because they BEAT DELL ON PRICE

"big mac" is gaining in teraflops too, as they optimize the software for it.

20. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I have more gigabites and ram than you!!:rolleyes: