Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

applying beeswax

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by akajuve400g, Jul 24, 2000.

1. akajuve400g

akajuve400g

May 22, 2000
    Louisiana
    I recently bought a warwick corvette standard and I just wanted to know how I would go about applying wax to the body. Would I need to take off the strings?

2. I used to have a Thumb Bass.. you don't need to take off the strings to apply the beeswax. Do the whole front and back of the body and back of the neck every couple of weeks, and do the area under the strings whenever you change them. Since Warwick recommends you apply the wax every two weeks or so, this may coincide with when you change strings. As far as how to apply it, just follow the directions on the can. I used a soft cloth to rub it in and a second one to buff it out.
    BTW congrats on your purchase!

[This message has been edited by Dave Siff (edited July 24, 2000).]

3. akajuve400g

akajuve400g

May 22, 2000
    Louisiana
    thanx for the help. But I usually only change the strings once every couple of months. But I can take the strings off to apply the wax.

4. WAKOJACO

WAKOJACO Guest

Jul 5, 2000
    Binghamton, NY
    What kind/brand of wax do you use, and where do you get it? I've never waxed my 3 year old Warwick. Ooops.

5. Lymie

Lymie

Jul 25, 2000
    Holland
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WAKOJACO:
    What kind/brand of wax do you use, and where do you get it? I've never waxed my 3 year old Warwick. Ooops.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can get Warwick wax. If you have trouble finding it, ask a carpenter. I did and he gave me some special wax, which works equally well

6. A can of Warwick beeswax comes with all new Warwick basses (at least it should.) Most Warwick dealers carry it, and you can also get it direct from Dana B. Goods, Warwick's U.S. distributor.

7. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb

Apr 23, 2014
    Beeswax is great! I'm finding the Wanna Beeswax brand to be the best for patching up the rotten wormholes appearing on my body. It does a reasonable job stopping-up the oozing and the stench too.

8. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    As a non-Warwick owner: wwwwwwwwwwhy?!

(Zombie thread!)

9. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Any natural oil finish instrument needs to be waxed to clean/seal the wood. Not just Warwick.

EricssonB likes this.
  10. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    Natural finish. Got it. Makes sense.