1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Applying for a Talent Scholarship. Thoughts...HELP!?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RyanJD, Jan 26, 2012.

1. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    Hello, the college I'm planning on attending offers a scholarship for musical talent.
    Here are the requirements for it:

http://www.morningside.edu/admissions/pages/documents/MusicAuditionrequirements-1.pdf

Obviously I will be playing bass guitar and I was just kind of wondering what to expect.
    It says all major scales. What would that mean for bass? I know the scale patterns for the major and minor scales. Am I set there?
    My sight-reading is kind of weak. Anyone predict I will get something difficult to play?
    And finally, two songs. My first that I have down pat:

Steve Conte - Call Me Call Me - YouTube

Good song for this? I don't know.

Can anyone recommend something that contrasts this song that would also demonstrate my ability?
    I can do YYZ, minus a few of the Geddy solos. :meh:
    (I guess that is kind of worthless information. Ha...)

One last thing to say is that I will not be attending this school for music. This isn't Berklee.
    (I'm gonna be a computer science major. :D )

So yes, any helpful advice, as this is all new to me, would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Ryan

2. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    Also, it's a super ripoff that only majors in music on other instruments have to sight-read, but strings? Oh no, you do it anyways...

:spit:

3. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
  4. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    Is David Bowie's Let's Dance a good option for another song?
    I know it's pretty simple, but the evaluation is coming up...

5. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    Bump.

>_>

6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I don't have any formal education but I would think you'd need to know more than the minor and major scales to get a talent scholarship. I'd suggest at the least learning all your modes, and how they work, I'd think they'd ask you how they work.

No clue though, I have never gotten formal music ed, all self taught, good luck with your audition.

7. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Did you read the requirements:

Two contrasting musical selections which demonstrate your strengths as an instrumentalist, including your technical ability, your tone, and your musicianship.
    All major scales (memorized)
    Sight-reading

It says major scales, not minor, modes or anything else. You should consult with your teacher about what piece to play. If you don't have a teacher and haven't been taking lessons, I don't like your chances.

I'm not saying you have to be Jaco, but you probably won't get anything playing roots and fifths.

Sorry, but I can't even wish you good luck. It's not fair to take a scholarship from someone who WANTS to be a musician so you can study computer science for free.

8. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    Rude.

While I understand your meaning here, let it be known that this and similar scholarships aren't only for those who wish to major in music, or the other areas.
    Take a look:
    Morningside College Admissions: All New Students Scholarships

It's just awarding you for your talents as you go into your studies. If it happens to be what you'll be majoring in, then hot dog!
    So of course I will attempt to take advantage of it and the others that coincide with my talents.
    I'm applying in the graphic art, mass media and computer technology sections too.
    The most I can get is $4,000 per year total for ALL of those sections. I'm hardly taking away anything from anyone.

Oh and "free". Lol.
    A scholarship doesn't mean full ride.

9. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    :eyebrow:

I can't tell whether you are or not, but if you're referring to the first song selection that I linked to on Youtube, I recommend you listen to more than just the first 0:30.
    It's not a beginner piece.
    That said, it's not super awesome either... :p

10. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Welcome to the internet.

If you don't want opinions, don't ask for them. Sometimes you hear things you don't want to hear. And people don't always confine their opinions to what you've asked.

11. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    I guess even Talkbass can't escape the cold grasp of the uncivilized interwebs.
    And I guess I thought it could. My mistake.

Either way, did you read past my first word?
    I felt compelled to explain myself after your scathing reply. :rolleyes:

12. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    Gonna bump this one last time.
    I think I'm gonna do Polonaise by JS Bach as a second.
    I suppose something classical like this would contrast nicely.

It's actually really easy. I'm gonna play it out of my old trombone solos book. Heh heh.

Bad idea? Let me know...please.

13. fmoore200

fmoore200

Mar 22, 2011
    NYC
    What about all the D-1 athletes who don't go on to become professional athletes?

They may have enough talent to play college athletics, but go on to be bankers, lawyers, doctors, etc...

What about the people who don't male the military a career, but put in their 4 years and get the gi bill? They don't deserve the free ride?

College is expensive, any part that is gonna be paid for me I would take.

14. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    I appreciate you backing me up here, I really do.
    But I would love it if I could just get some advice for my upcoming evaluation.
    Thank you though. You seem to understand how the cost of college can keep you under its thumb for years and years after you graduate. :rollno:

15. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    In my OPINION, music is different, you are entitled to your opinion. I went through college on scholarships. I saw non music majors occasionally taking those scholarships to study other subjects. I don't think it's right, but that's life.

16. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Not your first mistake. :D

Your first word was Hello. Yes I read past it. Now I'm wishing I hadn't.

Did you bother to read my reply? It answered your questions. It doesn't like look that many other people here bothered to try to help you.