1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Applying for my first job- advice?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Kibuddy, May 10, 2006.

1. Kibuddy

Kibuddy

Apr 30, 2005
    Well, as the title suggests, I'm applying for my first job this weekend. I'm applying to a hardware store, but I'm a bit nervous about it. I was wondering if you guys had any advice for me, though. I'd prefer not to do something really stupid and not get hired because of it.

Thanks a bunch!

2. irjason

irjason In Memoriam

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I assume they are hiring ATM. I always follow up a couple of days after an application or resume. Give the manager or whever does the hiring a call and see if they've had a chance to look over your application yet. This shows that you're interested and motivated. More times than not they will go ahead and schedule you to come in for an interview while you're on the phone.

3. Kibuddy

Kibuddy

Apr 30, 2005

Yes, they are hiring. There's a "help wanted" sign in the window, which is what gave me the idea to apply there. :D

I'll make sure to keep that in mind. Thanks!

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Dress nice, no jeans!

5. Kibuddy

Kibuddy

Apr 30, 2005

I suppose I should go out and buy some nice pants, then. :ninja:

I'm assuming a striped, button-up, collared shirt will be okay?

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Honestly, what kind of hardware store is it? Small independent shop or large chain?

I work in a small chain with seven stores in New Jersey. I have seen people turned away wearing slacks and a collared shirt, while I was hired wearing jeans and a tshirt. Be yourself and be willing to do work that nobody really wants to. I've been with the company for two years and am considered an asset to our store.

Dickie's pants or nice jeans would be ideal, perhaps a collared polo shirt, I wouldn't go too far above that. They're going to see if they think you'd be a good fit for the store, and image helps a lot. If you come across as a prep when the store is down and dirty, they may skip you over.

However, I can tell you from personal experience, if they have help wanted signs, they'll probably take you. Just be yourself in the interview, be honest, and show that you can take initiative.

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    That's good advice for sure!

It'd be worth taking a reccie around the store before the interview to get to know the store a little bit what they sell, what their current staff are like.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    1) Don't chew gum on your interview
    2) Establish and maintain eye contact
    3) Don't lie about any of your qualifications
    4) Avoid words like "ummm" and "uhhh".
    5) Ask the person interviewing you why they work there.
    6) Wash your hands and clean your fingernails.
    7) If you are greeted by a man, use a firm solid handshake while maintaining eye contact.
    8) Bring your resume with you, and your references. Even if they already have a copy, you want a copy for yourself.
    9) Sit up straight.
    10) Make an effort to show them why they need to hire you, and what you will do for them.
    11) Let the interviewer bring up compensation, and benefits.

-Mike

9. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    -Cover Letter
    -Eye Contact
    -Confidence
    -Posture
    -Get to know the store, the business
    -Follow up at most a week after the interview, maybe sooner
    -Get a sense of the general dress code, and dress one step up from that
    -Don't lie
    -Relax!
    -Everything else already suggested

Good luck!

10. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Mike makes alot of good points. I'd also add that if you are greeted by a woman, give a firm handshake with solid eye contact. Don't crush her hand - she's not on your sports team - just dont be wet.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Good call on that one.

-Mike

12. dont worry so much about your resume. You obviously wont have much to put on it. In your cover letter try to include things like dependable, honest, energetic, disiplined. yadda... They arent going to hire you because of experience, so you need to give them a reason... and your young so they will understand and hopefully give you a chance.

13. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Punctual, respectful, attentive, communicator, team-work, good at seeing-a-job-through.

14. I'll probably get burned for this, but do your best to look like the kid next door (hide tats, remove earrings, comb your hair, etc). Sounds stupid, but you'd be surprised how many people (like my brother-in-law) who think they can fill out an application looking like they just rolled out of bed and are preparing to start a 4 day bender with some hookers.

I put 5 years in at local hardware stores. It can be a great learning experience once you get the feel of it.

Mike

15. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Don't do it!! Once you start working, you can't stop!! It becomes increasingly more time consuming and demanding!:help:

(sigh)

Good Luck! Dress neatly, speak in a loud clear voice, and be exceptionally courteous....

16. Kibuddy

Kibuddy

Apr 30, 2005
    Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Ah, I probably should have mentioned that. It's a large chain- Ace Hardware.

Actually, I did just that yesterday. I stop by there fairly requently, anyways, though. They're (quite literally) about a 60 second walk from my house, and with all of the work we've been doing on my house over the years, I find myself getting sent down there for supplies all the time.

Duly noted, thanks!

As much as I love not having to do anything, I'm getting to that age where I want to buy stuff, pay for dates, pay for car insurance, gas, GAS, and whatnot. :D

Thanks again, everyone. I'll be going in on Saturday (the owner has today off, and I'll be Massachusetts all day tomorrow). I'll post again with the results afterwards.

17. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Be punk, they like a nonconformist.

If they say no, cry like a little girl and say "this job is only way i can support my crack habbit, please please please hire me".

totally works!

incredible.

18. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Typically screws come in
    1/4"
    and so forth.

They have coarse threads (1/4 - 20) and fine threads
    (1/4 -32) measured in the number of threads per inch.

That should WOW them!

Good luck. You seem like a good person, they will
    be lucky to have you.

19. :)

Now they're wowed. Before they were just impressed.

Mike

20. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA